Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandmax8blue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Landlord won't fix heat in house
    The Central Air Central Heating Unit Was Removed From My House More Than 6 Years Ago Because It Quit Working, It Was Never Replaced. The House Has A Fireplace,but I Can't Use It Because Of Cracks In It. I Put Up With No Heating Unit For Years, Because My Rent Was So Cheap And I Knew If The Landlord Had To Be Out Much Money,he Would Raise The Rent And I Couldn't Afford It, Also Our Winters Hadn't Been That Bad.
    Two Months Ago I Came Home And Found A Note On The Door Stating The Rent Was Going Up By $250.00 The Next Month. I Sent A Note To The Landlords Son That Helps Him Stating That Since The Rent Was Going Up , I Felt It Only Fair That They Fix The Heat,and The Roof As It Leaks. They Got The Insurance To Fix The Roof, But Still No Heat. I Have A Small Heater,but It's Not Safe To Run Them More Than A Few Hours At A Time. We've Been Having Temps In The Teen's At Night This Week.
    What Recourse Do I Have If They Won't Fix The Heat ?
    I Can't Afford To Move.
    Ladonna
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2008, 07:49 AM
    You need to check with your local housing authority on the heating requirements for your area (also if there are any limits on how much a landlord can increase the rent). If a certain level of heat is required, then the landlord must provide it or be fined.
    ric166 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 09:27 AM
    You should read your lease. If your landlord has the right to raise your rent it would be stated so in the lease. He can't raise it if the lease does not provide so. You have to pay your rent otherwise he can kick you out. So pay it and complaint to the proper people about the heating problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ric166
    He can't raise it if the lease does not provide so.
    A landlord can raise the rent when the lease expires. If the tenant is on a month to month, then they can raise it with one month's notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat controlled by landlord [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a rental apartment in Bucks County, PA. Prior to my move, I was told by my new landlord that the landlord pays for the heat. I asked what the guidelines were around that. The landlord stated that even though they pay for the heat, the tenant has complete control over monitoring...

Landlord entered into a lease and is now losing the house [ 7 Answers ]

Our landlord signed a one year lease in July. Now, two months later is telling us the house is being foreclosed on and she has to sell quickly. The realtor has demanded that he be allowed to show the house 7 days a week 8-6 (it is in our lease agreement) although I have given him reasonable...

Landlord putting house up for sale before end of lease [ 8 Answers ]

I entered a 1-year lease on 3/1/2007. I was informed by a realtor on 6/4/07 that the house was going up for sale but not to worry, it might take months for it to sell... Can a landlord do this? Even if the house takes a year to sell, how about my right to enjoy a quiet environment (for sale...

Landlord is selling house; 10 mo remaining to Rent [ 2 Answers ]

Landlord is selling house; 10 months remaining on a 2 year Rental/lease agreement. If he sells the home, do I have any reprocussions? Is it possible for the Land lord to pay for a local move (San Diego)?

Landlord is selling house [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to how long I have before I have to move after my landlord sells the house I am living in?

View more questions Search