Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmrne961 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Replacing a 3-wire, 2-speed switch
    The fan in the fume hood above my stove is broken. I believe it's the switch so I need to replace it. The whole kitchen is over 35 years old, though and the fan is a dynavent. I believe the switch is soldered and don't know how to undo it to see the wiring of the switch. The switch is a push-button switch that reads, "1A 125V T" on one line, "3A 125V" on the next line. The fan had 2 speeds--slow and fast. The switch has 3 wires to it. My question is, do you think the switch would connect 2 wires (for example green and black) for the lower speed and then connect a different 2 (for example red and black) for the higher speed? In which case, if I cannot find a switch that reads exactly the same (I have yet to find one) then could I use a "4A 250V" 2-wire switch and wire it in series to have just a one-speed fan? Or are things more complicated than this? This is just my thoughts I've had one year of high school physics and about 3 weeks of electricity of that year of physics... lastly, looking at the switch, does it seem right that the electricity enters through the black and I would wire the red and green in series? I have attached 3 pictures in 1 jpeg document. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images

ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Go to the hardware store. Any 3 wire two speed fan switch will work.

Red-black is high, red-blue is low. Possibly the other way round.

And you don't have to solder, just cut the wires out of the old switch (keep track of where they went) and wire nut them to the new switch.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Switch operation is LIKELY the following:
    Black - Power

OFF: Nothing connected
    Speed #1: Black to Green
    Speed #2: Black to Red

So, it will either operate as OFF-HI-LOW or OFF-LOW-HI depending on what motor winding got connected. If you want to reverse the arrangement, switch the red and Green equlivelent wires that go to the motor.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Yeah I might have had the colors backwards. Blue is often high.
    mthetazman99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 04:39 PM
    Needing to replace a 6 wire two speed switch for a Delta scroll saw. Old switch was take off without labels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Ceilin fan speed switch with 8 wire connections [ 3 Answers ]

How to connect a fan switch with 8 feed-in correctly if previous owner had wired incorrectly? I could not find any information that could help me so far. I have been experimenting with the wires but I am afraid I might hurt the box with 5 wires that is obviously important.:confused:

Replacing a 3 speed fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace a three speed ceiling fan switch. I have the switch but I don't know where the wires go! On the switch it says 1,2,3,Land there is a hole for each number and letter.the wires are pink,gray,black,and yellow. I don't know what hole each them go into! Can someone please help me!! ...

Need help replacing a 5-8 wire ceiling fan switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a 3 speed, 5-8 wire fan switch with a Harbor Breeze switch. The old switch has numbers 1-Blue wire, 2-Red wire, 3-Orange wire, 4-? and C-Black wire. I don't know which wire was in 4 as it fell out. The old switch is single layered with connection holes and the black wire...

View more questions Search