Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joanna howells Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 05:42 AM
    How to stop interior paint cracking
    Hi
    I am redecorating a house I have recently bought. One bedroom had navy blue paint on the lower half then a wall paper border and wall paper on the upper half.
    I removed all the wall paper, filled in any holes, sanded the walls and washed them with sugar soap and then wiped them over with clean water. I painted the walls with white dulux matt emulsion paint. The upper part of the wall where the paper had been was fine. On the lower part where the navy blue paint had been the paint cracked when dried, this happened when the first coat was applied. I thought maybe I had but the paint on to thick (with a roller) so I diluted it but the subsequent coats cracked. I have now just started decorating my hallway and up the stairs where on the lower half there is a burgundy paint. I have prepared the walls in the same way and this morning I have discovered all the paint has cracked again on the lower half where the burgundy paint was.
    Am I going to have to sand all this paint off? Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joanna
    buster1104 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2007, 05:49 AM
    I would sand it and then apply a primer coat first.
    joanna howells Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joanna howells
    Hi
    I am redecorating a house i have recently bought. One bedroom had navy blue paint on the lower half then a wall paper border and wall paper on the upper half.
    I removed all the wall paper, filled in any holes, sanded the walls and washed them with sugar soap and then wiped them over with clean water. I painted the walls with white dulux matt emulsion paint. The upper part of the wall where the paper had been was fine. On the lower part where the navy blue paint had been the paint cracked when dried, this happened when the first coat was applied. I thought maybe i had but the paint on to thick (with a roller) so i diluted it but the subsequent coats cracked. I have now just started decorating my hallway and up the stairs where on the lower half there is a burgundy paint. I have prepared the walls in the same way and this morning i have discovered all the paint has cracked again on the lower half where the burgundy paint was.
    Am i going to have to sand all this paint off? Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joanna
    Hi
    Does this mean I have to sand all the white off back to the burgundy?
    buster1104 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joanna howells
    Hi
    Does this mean i have to sand all the white off back to the burgundy?

You will have to sand the wall(s) until the crack are no longer there (even surface). It sounds like you are maybe appling the paint too quick and too think. Multiple coats is the way to go to avoid this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior paint smell [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering What can make the smell of paint go away? I'm supposed to be having guest tomorrow night, and my apartment still reaks of paint.

Interior paint [ 2 Answers ]

How do I figure how much it will cost to paint the interior of my new house

Fix-it for paint cracking? [ 2 Answers ]

Similar result to Jotman, but I know the why. Just don't know exactly how to rectify. Was in a hurry and forgot to sand one part of the wall surface before painting one coat of vinyl matt over old gloss. Several months later, paint is cracking where I forgot to sand. (alligator effect) ...

Paint cracking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all - Can anyone tell me why the paint in a newly painted room (two to three coats applied within a day and a half) appears to be cracking. (I don't know if spackle was applied to these areas first). Thanks for any insight.

Cracking and peeling paint... Help! [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently doing up a rental property in return for cheap rent with option to buy. The interior paint is cracked and peeling in many places. The paint that peels off is 1.5 mm thick. What is the best way of preparing the walls for painting? How much should we scrape off? I'm worried that if...

View more questions Search