Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxcstudios Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Landlord took possession before thirty days
    My wife and I moved 280 miles from Atwater, CA to Los Angeles, CA. We gave a thirty day notice and a week before our thirty days were up, the landlord began entering the home without our permission and started cleaning and repairing the home. I received a call from my neighbor who saw them. When I called to find out they said that they were taking the house back a week earlier so they could rent it out. I told them that we had not finished cleaning or preparing the house for the new tenant but they did not care. This was in October. We received a letter from them the other day stating that they charged us for carpets (I have emails asking them to change the worn and damaged carpet while we lived there but they said they could not afford it.) Many things that were damaged when we moved in have now been replaced with our deposit including toilets which I found absolutely obsurd. There was nothing wrong with the toilets other than they were old. Can I still file a lawsuit since it's been since October 2007?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Yes of course you can still file a law suit and need to.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2007, 08:14 PM
    The lease probably allows them to enter the premises to do repairs. However, they cannot take possession earlier than your lease termination date. Did you not do a walk through before you moved out? Do you have proof that the repairs not necessary or that were pre-exisiting items?

If they took possession early then they should refund the pro-rated rental.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple possession [ 2 Answers ]

Yes sir, my vehicle was searched while I was inside of a barberhop without my consent when I walked out they ask me was it my vehicle I said yes so they ask me for id then they ask me was that my marijauna in the car I asked them what marijauna. They asked me to turn around and place my hands...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

Landlord terminated lease 4 days after signing [ 3 Answers ]

This Question Is For The State Of Kansas. My Friend Looked At An Apartment And She And The Landlord Agreed That She Would Be Able To Rent The Apartment. She Gave The Deposit They Signed A Lease And He Gave Her The Keys But 4 Days Later Someone Called Her Back And Told Her That Other Tenants In The...

Landlord refuse to return Security depost as there was no 30 days notice [ 3 Answers ]

I used to live in Apartment complex for 4 years in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. I have never had any problems till I left the apartment. I agve them the 30 day written notice to the management and cleaned the apartment the best I can. I left on Oct. 31, 2006. I also left my forwarding address with...

Landlord wants us out in 30 days [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Pennsylvania. We work in the ministry. We've been living rent free, without a lease for 3 years in an apartment donated by a friend of our ministry. We have communicated our intention to stay here until 11/07 to our landlord and his manager. The manager assured us that it was not a...

View more questions Search