Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjones-butler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 07:02 AM
    How to link to other spreadsheets using Excel
    How do you compose a spreadsheet to link information that has been inputted into that spreadsheet to reflect on other spreadsheets?
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Dec 29, 2007, 07:24 AM
    If you mean within the same Workbook (a single spreadsheet file with multiple sheets within it), use the following format:

=Sheet1!A1+1

Where "Sheet1" is the name of the sheet that contains the desired data. In this example, I entered the formula in "Sheet2". In Sheet1, Cell A1, is the number "1". The result in Sheet2 is the answer "2".

Hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2007, 08:25 AM
    If you are referring to a separate XLS file, you can reference the cell similarly using the path to the file, then the sheet and address. The following is from Excel Help:

Create a link between cells in different workbooks
    1. Open both the workbook that will contain the link (called the destination (destination file: The file that a linked or embedded object is inserted into. The source file contains the information that is used to create the object. When you change information in a destination file, the information is not updated in the source file.) workbook), and the workbook that contains the data you want to link to (called the source (source file: The file that contains information that was used to create a linked or embedded object. When you update the information in the source file, you can also update the linked object in the destination file.) workbook).
    2. In the destination workbook, click Save .
    3. Select a cell or cells you want to link from.
    4. If you are creating a new formula, type = (an equal sign). If you are entering the link elsewhere in the formula, type the operator (operator: A sign or symbol that specifies the type of calculation to perform within an expression. There are mathematical, comparison, logical, and reference operators.) or function that you want to precede the link.
    5. On the Window menu, click the name of the source workbook, and then click the worksheet that contains the cells you want to link to.
    6. Select the cells you want to link to.
    7. Complete the formula. When you finish entering the formula, press ENTER.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copying spreadsheets onto a floppy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to copy some excel spreadsheets onto a floppy disk. It keeps telling me to format the disk even though the disks I bought are formatted already. I go into the file I want and hit copy and it just comes up with must format disk, so I try that and then it comes up disk cannot be...

Linking Excel Spreadsheets [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi There ANyone know how I can link excel spreadsheets to each other?:confused:

Excel: How to NOT have email addresses "auto link" [ 1 Answers ]

When I enter an email address in a cell, it becomes a mailto link. How can I turn this off? (I want to leave it on for entered url's though) Thanks!

Excel: Deleted cell content but link is still there [ 3 Answers ]

When I delete text from a cell where the text was a hyperlink, it does go away, but when I go to type new text in the cell, the new text is hyperlinked as the former text was. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks!

View more questions Search