Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrhall41 Posts: 123, Reputation: 6

Dec 27, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Stray cat(s)
    Over a year ago we had this cat that showed up at our door and we name him Gizmo, because he looked like a cat/squirrel. He has always been very low-keyed and not caused any problems, other than laying on our cars and leaving hair, etc, nothing or major. Sometimes when we go out he gets close to us and sometimes he jumps on our laps to be petted. Very sweet cat. We feed him and he doesn't bother us. But now we have seen 2 other cats roaming around the house (in the last 1 month) and even saw one of them going through our trash!! Gizmo has never done anything like that and I try to run them away, but they just go a couple of doors down and wait until I come in and come back here. Now I have to keep the garage doors closed because I don't want them laying on my boxes, dirty laundry, etc. Gizmo has always stayed outside the garage and has never tried to come in, but these two rebels are all over the place.
    I am afraid that if I call Animal Control, they will come and pick them all up, which would bother me, because Gizmo is not the one causing the problems. I read on the net that I should put some moth balls in the garage since they hate the smell of mothballs. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Could you turn Gizmo into an indoor cat by catching him and getting him neutered? Once he's safe inside, then call Animal Control or an area shelter to trap the other two (who are probably hungry and doing the best they can to stay alive).

Dec 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Well, actually, I sill have my almost dying beagle (see my other post) and I am allergic to cat hair. That could be a problem, But Gizmo is the sweetest cat and lets the other cats eat his food. Sometimes I feed him and wait until he is done before I leave.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
    There is some spray that you can buy at petsmart, maybe even the big box stores that cats dislike... spray it on the doors you will have to repeat it every week, I will ask my mil what it is called tomorrow and post back.
    Keep your garbage can secure so that they can not get in them. Do they look like they are starving or could they possibly belong to someone that just lets them roam. If they are starving the most humane thing would be to call animal control or an animal rescue as wondergirl suggested. It would be awesome if you have Gizmo neutered, he would be a much healthier and happier cat if you did and mating season he would be less likely to roam.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Then catch Gizmo and get him neutered, as bushg said, so he will stick around your porch and not roam. Is there a way to keep Gizmo away from anyone trapping the other two strays? Or maybe you could trap them and then alert Animal Control? (I'm worried about Gizmo being taken away.)

Shelters and AC will lend or rent out safe cat traps for your use. Bait them with some "smelly" fishy cat food. There's a trip thing in the floor that shuts the door behind a cat who has entered the trap to eat the food. Cats are smart, so you would have only one chance to do this. If you trap the cats, you can keep an eye out for Gizmo and keep him from being taken away.

Dec 27, 2007, 09:18 PM
    I will wait to hear from you, but I do not think that Gizmo would get in a pet carrier. He is doscile, but I am not sure if he is going to go crazy. I have never taken him to the vet or anything. I bought him a 0collar a few months ago and he didn't like it, so I took it off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 09:26 PM
    First I am not sure animal control will do anything, are there leash laws for cats or even laws about cats loose in your city. Seldom are there cat laws for the state.

As a police officer, we often got called to get involved when animal control was having trouble with locals, in our city there was no law about keeping a cat leashed ( although there should be) and animal control had not authority from the city to pick up the cats.
    Sometimes they would let a owner rent or borrow a trap to catch a stray cat and have the owner turn them over ( that way if there was a ownership issue of the cat, the person who caught it was liable not the city.

Now that has been 10 years ago so laws change and laws in different areas differ I know. But you may want to call and even see if animal control will do something to start with. ** sometimes if there is property damage done by the animal, then they will

But again if this is your cat, it needs to be seen by the vet, get its yearly shots, be checked for various disease and more, owning a cat means a lot of responsibility.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Well, we've rescued lots stray cats who weren't real happy to end up in the trap. We took them to a vet who is used to dealing with strays and ferals. He neutered them and gave rabies shots.

Along the way, two we turned into house cats and the others stayed outside near the house as our outdoor cats. We of course fed all of them and provided shelter for the outdoor ones.

Dec 28, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Actually, the other two cats do not look hungry or unhealthy. They are very fat and clean looking. They must belong to someone, but obviously they just like our food better...
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Irhall... In that case I would leave them be... keep running them off and keep food sources up.. I have a few strays that are trouble makers... they have owners & I know they are fed so those little fellows are sent home, most of the time they only get in neighbooring yards and look at me, Cats are smart and learn pretty quick. They would rather go where it is easier to get the extra food.. take gizmos food out to him a few times a day after he eats take it up... he will let you know when he is hungry. This is better than free feeding him any way. You can watch his food intake this way.. not eating is a huge indicator of illness.

Get him neutered even a cat as docile as he is will get aggressive with other cats over a female in heat.If he trust you you should have no problem getting him in a carrier. When I got my first stray... I took off the top of the carrier and sat him down in it and had someone put the top on it while I was holding him.. it was much easier than trying to force him in it... plus he is a big cat and mean on top of it.
    Make sure that when you or anyone else in your family starts the cars up, toot the horn, many cats have lost their life by getting up near the engine and sleeping to keep warm/shelter in the winter time. A small dog house in the yard/porch would make a good sleeping place for Gizmo. Btw the way it is very good of you to take him in. esp with having allergies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stray cat [ 8 Answers ]

I live on a farm and for the past week we have had a stray cat hanging around. It got really cold last week (-30!) so the cat has been living in one of our steel buildings. I noticed it is VERY skinny - almost nothing left of it. So I started giving it dry and canned cat food as well as water. ...

Want to assist stray not sure what to do [ 2 Answers ]

I have been feeding a "family" of stray cats since the start of the summer. It was a mother cat and her two kittens. Lately we haven't seen one of the kittens and we rarely see the mother. Well one of the kittens comes around our house every night and sleeps at our door. We have a cat already so...

Stray Pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a nice neighborhood, and there's always cats around. But in the last two months, I have seen a pregnant stray cat. She's real pretty, and only up until about this week, had I successfully started to feed her. Now, I don't know if she's still pregnant because she is long haired, and I have...

Pregnant stray [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up a pregnant stray 3 weeks ago, and she now has diarrhea, is she due to deliver any day now?

Pregnant stray [ 7 Answers ]

We've had a pregnant stray hanging around for a little over a month now. We've been feeding her and provided a crate in the garage hoping she would opt to have the kittens in there. She's very friendly and loves all the attentions she's been getting. Today, we ddn't see her for most of the day...

View more questions Search