Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swammi Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2005, 12:31 AM
    Fixed PB tubing/copper pipe union
    Re Polybutylene tubing, threaded transition union.
    Thx speedball for your help. I have cut out 4" of the leaking union and replaced it with 2 5/8" compression unions attached to a 4" 1/2" copper pipe. The PB tubing also incorporated a copper insert with the compression fitting. I know you know all of this, but for people (probably in our townhouse complex) that may have this issue... Thanks again for your help! No leaks so far... :D

V

A link to before/after pics:
    http://home.comcast.net/~jvicswain/

OK Vic, I have some answers for you. Your house is piped with PB (Polybutylene) tubing. Of the two copper fittings that you call "unions" the upper one is a 1/2 coupling and the bottom is a copper to female thread coupling. The fitting that you call a "copper bushing" is a threaded transition Union for PB tubing. Here's where your leak comes in. The threaded transition union should only be used on non pressured lines such as a shower raiser from the shower valve to the shower head. The one you have is used on a pressured line. I can't be much help from here on in as we don't use tubing in my area to water pipe houses. But I can point you to site hat will be helpful. Click on http://www.acehardware.com/sm-workin...g-1280920.html

And scroll down to STEP#3. If you have any more questions please post thyem at AskMeHelpDesk.com

Thanks, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Thanks Vic and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bent copper tubing riser [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all. We had a toilet leak in our upstairs bathroom. We've had a couple of plumbers out over the past couple of years to deal with the problem, but their work didn't fix the problem. As a result, our linoleum discolored and the floor got weak. We spent the day yesterday pulling up the...

Copper tubing off my ABS drain in basement [ 1 Answers ]

Afternoon, I am putting a shower in the basement and have already identified my drain and vent. Here is the question-- on my drain pipe, which is ABS, I have a copper line with a fitting on it tied to the coupling on my drain. It appears to be heading over toward my vent line. I have looked...

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

4" Copper sewer union [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm wondering what's the best way to tap into my 4" copper sewer pipe. Here's the thing, I need to add a 1 1/2" waste line into the sewer pipe in my basement (which runs across one basement wall). Would I be best to use a PVC T (or wye connection) and reduce the pipe size to that, or should I...

View more questions Search