Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Dec 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Network Issues
    Hi all,

I'm working on a couple computers for a local body shop as a favor. They have two computers in their office that are on DSL, and connected through a netgear router. Both PC's are running Win XP Pro.

Starting yesterday computer 1 could see, and access all the files on computer 2, but computer 2 can not see computer 1.

I've tried to ping the computer name, and IP address in the command prompt from computer 2, to computer 1 but it times out. If I go the other way, computer 1 to computer 2, it gets a reply.

The DHCP Server, DNS, and WINS are the same on both PC's.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    DestnySuks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 07:36 PM
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. My issues was with a firewall. Norton Internet Security was blocking communication on one of the computers. I'm sure you've checked that, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Dec 28, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Yea, I've checked. The only firewall they have is Windows, and I've tried to disable it. They use AVG for anti-virus.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 09:48 AM
    I am thinking of things that could affect access -- set up sharing on both computers

Being on same workgroup -- Try network Wizzard on both machines

Or a program you might want to try is Network Magic

PC World - PC World Downloads - Network Magic

Dec 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Both computers were already setup for file and printer sharing. I tried to run the network wizard already. I'll try Network Magic tonight.

Thanks!
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Dec 28, 2007, 07:33 PM
    What would be helpful in troubleshooting is if you can cut/paste the output of the following commands from a CMD window:

Netstat -rn
    Ipconfig /all

These will help us isolate any network layer issues and possibly focus on application issues.

Casey

Dec 31, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Lol, thanks for your help guys... I got it going on Friday. They had THREE firewalls running, and had the sys tray icon for them ALL hiding, so it looked like nothing odd was running.

They're up and going now though ;)
    bumper64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 12:03 PM
    I can not get friends on Facebook because I keep getting yellow triangle:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Complex wireless network issues [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings to all: I've been installing computers and home/small business networks etc for several years, but not professionally, just off my own knowledge. One of my long-time clients has a very complex set up and for some ridiculous reason, has a tendency for his computers to become morbidly...

Local area network&wide area network [ 1 Answers ]

i. If we can extend the LAN then why we need a WAN? ii. How can a bridge know whether to forward frames? iii. Can the length of an Ethernet be increased to many segments of 500 meter each merely by adding a repeater to connect each additional segment? iv. How can a computer attach to a network...

Internet Withdrawal - Network Issues [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I'm having issues with my wireless network. I've been running this setup for nearly a year now and it was working fine till about two months ago when my isp wasn't able to provide me with service saying that my modem was incapable of "synchronizing with their network". Today I have regained...

View more questions Search