Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MDJones100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Baement Subpanel : Breaker, Box, and Wire
    I'm running a new basement - 6 circuits 15 amp each (lights & outlets) and am going to run a subpanel in the basement from the main in the garage.

Am I correct in the following:
    1. 55 amp breaker in the main s to a 125 amp panel will be okay
    2. Get wire rated for 55 amp (is this 6-2 I think ?)
    3. The subpanel does NOT require a main breaker (although I am likely to buy one that is convertible).

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Matt
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Use a 2 pole 60 amp breaker, if a 55 amp is made, it will be special order.
    Use #6 - 4 wire cable, with two hots, one neutral, and one bare or green equipment ground.
    If the subpanel is in the building that the Mainbreaker is located, then a main in the subpanel is not needed, but you can have one if desired.

Be sure to have a separate equipment ground bar for the new panel, and only connect bare or green grounds to it. The Neutral bar will be for white neutrals only, and this bar stays insulated from any equipment grounds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire type subpanel inside/outside [ 16 Answers ]

I have a detached garage I want to run a 100amp subpanel. The total wire length from main to subpanel should be less than 90ft(garage is about 50 ft away from house). I have to run from the main panel across part of the unfinished area of the basement to the cloesest exterior wall and then trench...

Adding GFCI Breaker to Existing Subpanel [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a GFCI breaker to an existing sub panel (used to power a hot tub) so I can have a protected outlet on my patio. However, I'm confused as to how to wire in to the existing wiring. The existing sub panel has a double pole 50A breaker with 2 hot wires (red and black) and a neutral...

125 amp subpanel - can a 60amp main breaker be used? [ 6 Answers ]

My question is in the title. Here are the details, I bought a 125 amp sub-panel but I only need 60 amps. The main service panel is 200 amps. I ran a 6/3 awg wire to the sub-panel. Can I install a double pole 60 amp breaker in the main panel to power the sub-panel or do I have to use a double pole...

Wire size selction for a subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

A family member has built a small (12X20') home shop for welding projects. A subpanel fed from the 225A home breaker panel will be used to feed a subpanel in the shop. Installed, the subpanel feed wire will entail a total run of circa 110 feet. Query: What is the correct size wire for this...

View more questions Search