Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BabyDakota Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Siberian Husky won't eat or drink but goes to the bathroom and sleeps everywhere
    Hi, my family just got a 10 week old Siberian Husky mix yesterday. When she first came into the house she drank a ton of water like she had never tasted it. She did not eat right away and I figured she just was filled with water. Since then she has been peeing and booing everywhere and has only eaten four little pebbles of food. She was going to the bathroom outside but now she just goes in the house and stands on my shoes outside. After she goes to the bathroom she whines and then falls asleep. Her routine has been, sleep, bathroom, whine, sleep... What should I do? Any tips. Thanks
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 11:10 AM
    If you only got it yesterday, the dog needs a week or two to get used to the house. The dog may feel a bit weird eating, as many dogs like to eat in their own "comfort" zone. Have you had her checked out at the vet once you brought her home? Has she gotten "dewormed"? Is the food the same food she's used to?

Give her a little bit of time, and she'll be good in no time.

Dec 23, 2007, 11:26 AM
    These are the shots she has gotten according to the adoption agency... CAV-2, canine parvovirus, parainfluenza, leptospirosis, and cornavirus. We are going to make a vet appointment tomorrow, hopefully for the day after Christmas so she can get more shots as well as get any other tests. Thank you for calming my nerves, it is my first puppy and I am not getting too much help on what to do
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I don't like the lack of energy. Not eating is no big deal. Going too long without drinking again isn't good, but can't be too much of a problem is she is still urinating. For now, when you take her out, don't let her just set on your foot. Make her move around. Exercise stimulates elimination.

If she isn't showing more energy by tomorrow morning, you may want to try to get her into the vet then. If she adds diarrhea to the lack of energy, get her to the vet immediately, whatever you have to do.

Her behavior is not that of a well cared for 10 week old. Unfortunately, proper care is almost the exception among breeders. Poor early socialization causes many behavior problems. It is vitally important she gets as many new experiences as possible in the next few weeks. Still, you must be careful to keep her away sick dogs and anywhere they eliminated in the last 6 months.

For now, see the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Dec 23, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Thank you... she is eating and drinking now and having more energy. She has Diarrhea but I think that was from her not having any food in her system. She started to her own food and drink water again. She was playing with my sister and her energy seems to be up because we were running outside for about 10 minutes. Thank you everyone for your post, you helped me look out for things and you all settled my nerves. I really appreciate it, from time to time I will update you on how she is doing and if I need help, I will post again!. Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 09:51 PM
    A lack of energy and diarrhea are the classic symptoms of parvo. I hate to tell people to seek emergency care when they don't have to, but do a search here on parvo and see how many young puppies die. At least talk to the vet in the morning and tell him the symptoms. The experience voice here is not giving you reassurance .

Dec 24, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Thanks I am going to call the Vet, even though the adoption agency did say she got the shot... sometimes you just can't trust people... thank you. She is also hiccuping or so I think, she does have a lot of energy. She kept me up until 2am and had me up at 6 and my parents up at 4 and 5. Still going to call the Vet and setup an appointment. Thank you again for giving it to me straight.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDakota
    Thanks I am going to call the Vet, even though the adoption agency did say she got the shot...sometimes you just can't trust people...thank you.
    It's not necessarily a matter of "trust". Vaccines are not 100% effective, and thus you could still have a sick dog even if they have been vaccinated.

It is always a good idea to take a new pet to the vet as soon as possible, especially if you have other pets in the house. You want to know if there are things the pet needs to be on, because things like respiratory tract infections, fleas, and worms are not at all uncommon in pets from shelters. You also want to know if there are any congenital issues that you need to be aware of, before you get too attached to the pet. You are going to need a vet eventually, so you may as well establish a good relationship at the start. I've even known vets to do the first visit for free if you tell them it's a rescued animal.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 08:27 AM
    The shot may or may not have done any good. Vets give a series of the combo shots hoping to hit the window between when the immunity passed on from the mother wears off and the puppy is exposed to parvo. For more, see Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Siberian Husky hates my boyfriend!:confused: [ 7 Answers ]

I'll never forget the day my friend called and asked if I would help her find homes for five four-month old husky pups who were going to be shot because their breeder owner hadn't got them sold. I'd sworn off dogs entirely after the loss of my rottie and didn't readily agree but couldn't stand the...

HouseBreaking My 10 Year Old Siberian Husky [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There, My dog is a 10 year old siberian husky and when she is inside she usually ends up messing in the house. We got her from a kennel when she was 9 so she messes in the house because that is what she did in her kennel. So she is currently outside in a dog pen with her doghouse. And we want...

My dog sleeps and no eat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old male daschund puppy and all day he just sleeps, and he has not been eating lately I am worried about him and wheher or not he is still heralthy, he is out side from about 7 am till about 11 am when my mom wakes up until I wake up and bring him in, he sleeps in my room and then...

Trans-Siberian railroad [ 1 Answers ]

In , the Trans-Siberian Railway was completed. This railway system in miles long and takes 7 days to travel end to end, from Moscow in the west to Vladivostok in the east

Siberian huskies digging [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Siberian Husky as well as a 12 week old. The 2 year old is a female and is insistant on digging anywhere she has seen a chipmunk or other animal go and hide. We have but up large rocks in these areas, but she is somehow able to move them! I am sick of filling in holes... any...

View more questions Search