Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hulahula157 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 09:03 AM
    How do I treat my ex?
    I've been looking through the posts on this site, which have been helpful, but am looking for some advice on my particular situation.

We dated for about 6 months and then my ex broke up with me (very amicable break up, my ex just thought that we didn't click). We see each other every day as we work for the same company on the same floor. I want to know how to treat my ex when we cross paths. I have had a hard time getting over my ex and so I am going to NC after about 2 months of trying to be 'friends'. Being 'friends' has made it nearly impossible for me to get my ex out of my head and be able to put myself out there for a new relationship.

So, how do I go NC with my ex given my situation? Do I ignore my ex entirely, or just say the occasional 'hi'? How do I tell my ex that I am going NC and to please not contact me, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Yeah its tough being so close to her, but No contact is the way to go, and you need no formal announcement, just do it. NC doesn't mean to be rude, just distant, as the casual passing is a smile and hello, and keep any conversation short, and business only. She will get the picture especially if you initiate nothing, and brush her contact aside. FRIENDLY, BUT BRIEF, AND BUSY, means unavailable for friendship or anything else.
    hulahula157 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 09:23 AM
    If I brush contact aside, won't he think I'm just being rude? I know he wants to remain friends, we always had a great amount of fun outside of work and he is definitely the type of person that I would love to be friends with, except for the emotional ties.

How will I know when I am ready to be friends with my 'ex' again, if ever? It's a him, by the way, not a her.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Being 'friends' has made it nearly impossible for me to get my ex out of my head and be able to put myself out there for a new relationship.
    Going back to friends after a relationship is tough, so getting over him is what you must do. Only then can the friends part work, if at all. The choice between seeming rude, and getting over him is your choice. Let time heal the wounds. Is it rude to heal your own wounds?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 08:31 AM
    "won't he think I'm just being rude? I know he wants to remain friends"

I believe NC means you are absolutely not looking for a positive result in the relationship. The goal is complete indifference and in the course of obtaiing that, you give your heart both time and circumstances for healing.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Ignore your ex as much as possible. When you must cross paths, just be as cordial as you would to a stranger and leave it at that.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
    If I brush contact aside, won't he think I'm just being rude? I know he wants to remain friends, we always had a great amount of fun outside of work and he is definitely the type of person that I would love to be friends with, except for the emotional ties.
    What he may think isn't for you to worry about. You'll have to decide what's best for you in this situation. If you can remain friends with him without the emotional connection then fine. But if it's too much for you to handle then don't do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treat them mean keep them keen? [ 12 Answers ]

Is this the best way to treat a girl?? The girl I was last with liked a challenge, i.e. bad boy. I WAS LABELLED TOO NICE. How do guys go about doing this, obviously you don't be nasty to them but this seems to be the best way to keep them interestd,

Why does he treat me like this? [ 4 Answers ]

ive been seeing my boyfriend now for a year and a half, at first everything was great, he was so kind and always spoiling me and was really affectionate but most importantly i could talk to him about anything; he was my best friend. but now he just doesnt seem to care, he complains and twists his...

Why do people treat me this way? [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since elementary school, almost every kid has done something horrible to me, from the dirty look for no reason, to throwing my underwear in the sewer (yes, that actually happened) or even pouring a mysterious concoction of ketchup, maple syrup and who knows what else into my hair (that...

How to treat [ 3 Answers ]

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

How to treat Wages [ 4 Answers ]

The following expeses were paid out of the Bank Account: £ Wages : 6,000 Drawings (see note below) : 10,000 Sundry Expenses : 3,000 Include in the amount shown for drawings is £5,000...

View more questions Search