Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jkom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 03:20 PM
    whole house filter frequently clogged
    Hope I can find some help with this. I moved into a rental home that has well water on December 1. Since then I have replace the whole house filter cartridge 4 x's. Thank god the landlord supplies them for me. Pursuant to the filter change I notice a huge drop in water pressure - from mediocre to a trickle. Also the last filter change occurred within 2 days of putting in a new filter. The filter clogged with a substance that looked like small pieces of latex paint. No kidding it was white and slimy. I am looking for reasons that these filters are loading up so quickly and if this is causing continually low water pressure. Sure would be nice to actually rinse the soap out of my hair once in awhile:). Any advice at this point would be helpful.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 22, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Sounds like the pump's pulling up sediment from the well. This can be caused by a falling water table. Have you had any rain lately or has it been dry? Regards, Tom
    Jkom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
    It has been very wet here. A lot of melting snow and some rain. I talked with the landlord and this has been an ongoing problem. She doesn't seem to mind the expense of the filters as long as I don't mind changing them. Any idea what that white stuff I mentioned might be? That really grossed me out! Any suggestions would be sooo appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Try adding some to the acid based toilet bowl cleaner. If it fizzes and dissolves, it is lime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water filter clogged with ants [ 7 Answers ]

We have a traditional well water system. Pump outside, tank in the basement, water softener and filter. No ants in the basement. We change the water filter every 6 weeks or so (more in the summer, less in the winter). Today, the water filter was filled with small black ants (dead) and we had...

Whole House water filter [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend I replaced my old water softener with a new one. While looking at the different models at Lowe's, I also noticed that they recommend a whole house water filter as a "pre-filter". As long as I was replacing the water softener, I figured I might as well add the filter. While I...

What does a clogged filter affect? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, It is common knowledge that as a filter (whether undersink or whole-house) gets closer to replacement time, the water flow is adversely affected. What I would like to know is, what exactly is the clogged filter affecting: the PRESSURE (i.e. if there would be a booster pump on the outlet...

Whole house water filter [ 3 Answers ]

Recently we delt w/ a partial blockage of our boiler heating coil. We assumed it was from calcification but after the blockage was flushed by the heating repair person, we found it to be small chips of rock/sand. To prevent it further I would like to filter the water as it comes into the house...

Placement of Whole-house Filter [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to install a new pressure tank and water softener in my 25 year old home with copper pipes. We are on a private septic system and submersible pump well with fairly hard water. I have always been reluctant to install a water softener but removing the rust stains and scale from our...

View more questions Search