Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kemot74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
    ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    Can someone help me with this issue? I didn't touch the files on the server, IT people claim they didn't do anything with the DataBase - what could be causing this error and how to fix it? I am not a Web Programmer, but I can follow directions. Thanks!

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find file '(unknown)'.
    /db_open.asp, line 9
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 21, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Something clearly happened on the server to cause this error message. The candidates are:

1. The web site files and programs are changed/corrupted
    2. The database files driving the web page content are changed/corrupted
    3. The server applications that run the web site/database functionality have changed
    4. There's a programming error that has caused the site to stop working correctly

Did IT change any of the applications on the server, upgrade anything, install a new version of Crystal Reports, etc. (it may be the case that they didn't touch the database itself, but there are files on the server that affect the way your active server pages run)? Is there anyone else involved in your project, like an outside contractor developing the website? Is there a possibility the website has been hacked (IT should be able to review the server logs)?

Here's a site that may be helpful to IT in helping you debug your problem. You might have IT do a restore from a backup tape of the most recent working version of the site to a temporary directory, and do a file/directory compare between the live version and the archived version to look for any files that have changed. That will help IT track down what's changed, and why. If none of the code has changed, the problem is in the Access DB.

Vasily
    kemot74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Thanks Vasily, I will run with your suggestions to IT folks. Although I already know that there was some virus at play there. But thanks a stack for getting back to me so promptly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE printing error: res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg error [ 15 Answers ]

I have seen about a dozen posts on different Web sites regarding this error. The most common fixes are related to an individual work station. We are experiencing this problem with our Web site and everyone accessing it is unable to print pages that are within frames. I tried the fixes on my...

ODBC to MS Access on Netware 6 [ 1 Answers ]

Have the following problem: I want to link a Mysql db on a linux server to a MS Access db on a Novell Netware 6 server. Now it seems tha MS Access requires the Jet engine and Windows client. So is it that Netware will only store the mdb files, but to contact the Access database, one would...

PHP Connection Problem with ODBC After Moving out from Local Machine [ 7 Answers ]

In the following, Section 1 was my original code. The php code connected with an Access file was running Apache server in my local machine, and they did work fine. However, after moving the php and Access file to a web server, and changed $db='W:\\EmpRosterDev\\UserDB.mdb'; in the php, it gets...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ' [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to access the personal particulars of pen-pals listed in "Hands Across The World" I get the following message: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change...

View more questions Search