Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    falsey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Snowblower won't start
    I used my Ariens snowblower twice today as we had steady snowfall. When I went to use it this evening, I topped up the gas, connected a power source, opened the choke and hit the power button. For more than 20 minutes the motor would not catch. Having thought I flooded it, I shovelled the snow manually for 10 minutes, came back to give it another try. Had it serviced this past fall and everything was working great. What am I doing wrong?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Is the starter sound the same as it has always sounded or is it just a high speed spinning noise with no engine turning over?
    falsey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 08:55 PM
    At first it was trying to turn over but not catching. After the 5th or 6th try it was just spinning. That's when I stopped to give it a rest
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Remove the out shell of the blower and you'll see the engine and the starter. The tip of the starter has a shaft that allows a whitish nylon gear to spin and slide down the shaft like a candy cane. Try your starter now and observe. If the nylon gears just spins but does not move down the candy cane then the shaft is gummed up and can be sprayed with a white lithium grease. If the gear slides down the shaft but does not engage the engine the gear has some missing teeth and must be replaced. That gear is made of nylon so it can be sacrificed instead of wrecking the engine flywheel. It is actual designed to be the weak link. If you wish more help come back with your observations. Good luck, Bob
    rbilow Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Dec 11, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Sounds like your starter may have went. Does the snowblower also have a manual pull start? If it doed did you try that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowblower [ 3 Answers ]

826 toro snowblower drive was working now stopped??

MM: Snowblower almost fixed [ 4 Answers ]

Snowblower is 30+ years old. Well, this weekend I got the new plastic tank and it wouldn't fit, so I had to make new brackets. Took apart the carb. Cleaned it again. Added the hose, brass 90 degree fitting and fuel cut valve. Engine now starts and runs, as opposed to flood, because of rust...

Snowblower carb [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toro snowblower I don't know what year it is sometime in the 90s and it won't start due to gummy gas so I need to take the carb off and clean it I never done this before and I was wondering how to take it off and where its located I appreciate it ? ...

Old snowblower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Toro 826 used snowblower that was given to me. I cannot start it. I bought a new spark plug, filled the gas tank, even put a little bit of gas where the spark plug goes. I still can not start it. Can someone please help me?

View more questions Search