Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rhonda from Burnet Tx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Relinquish parent rights form
    I divorced a cop and my life has been hell, the court system is a joke,I feel at 49 and my son is 17 in a wilderness camp. A judge told my son he did not have to go by my rules and could call his father to come get him if he wanted. I'm sorry I just don't think my son needs to smoke, drink and do drugs... it's time for me to get out.

I need the forms to relinquish my parenting rights.

Thanks,
    Rhonda:confused:
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:24 PM
    You can't just relinquish your rights unless someone is willing to adopt the child.

As a parent, you can't just give up on your child.

You say he is 17... he has to follow your rules if he is living in your house, at least until he is 18.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Relinquishing rights takes time. Most likely he will be 18 by the time this legal process is complete. If you want to relinquish rights, it by no means means that you will not be responsible for child support. It only means that you will have no rights in making decisions regarding his health and well being.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
    You might look into the term of emancipating him. Or in other words giving him full adult status. I know of some people who have gone that route... but I don't know if that required both parents or not.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Rhonda from Burnet Tx agrees: The judge told me if my son did not like the rules he can call his dad to come get him, I have had 2 diamond necklaces stolen and many other things.
    Hun, then send him off to his father. But you will still be responsible for support should you relinquish your rights.

I feel for you, being a mother of a teen with problems such as you mention can be trying.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 05:44 AM
    From what I read about terminating parental rights in Texas, it also terminates the payment of child support. I was surprised when I read that.

"Upon the termination of parental rights in Texas, the parent (whose parental rights were terminated) is no longer responsible for future child support. However, child support arrearages that were accumulated prior to the termination of parental rights continue unless they are addressed/resolved by the Order of Termination of Parental Rights."

That is from one of the links I posted: Termination of Parental Rights in Texas: Your questions answered about Texas Family Law and the Termination of Parental Rights in Texas, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and all Texas Family Courts
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    From what I read about terminating parental rights in Texas, it also terminates the payment of child support.
    We went through this a few months ago. All this means is that its even harder to get a TPR in Texas.

To Rhonda,

Relinquishing rights is not what you really want, since you are unlikely to get it anyway.

Without knowing what your custody agreement says, I can't say if the judge was within rights to say that or not. I would hang tight until he is 18 then throw him out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquish rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do my daughter father give up his rights

Asking a father to relinquish rights in AZ [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find laws and information on having my daughters father sign over his rights? He wasts to give her up, he never sees her, and I don't mind the child support stopping, he never pays anyway and I work too jobs to suppourt her. WE ALL JUST WANT TO GET ON WITH OUR LIVES AND I can't DO...

Relinquish rights [ 2 Answers ]

How can I relinquish my rights as a parent and will I still have to pay child support

Relinquish rights [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a way to reliquish parental rights on a daughter that I do not see nor know. She is 3 years old and seen her once. I have my wages garnished by the state for child support because she receives the TANF assistance. I will never know my daughter. The mother now has a new husband. Can I...

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

View more questions Search