Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saralin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 05:36 PM
    My 11 week old pom puppy has turned my hands into hamburger
    I have tried everything I have read about or heard on how to stop my puppy from biting and to show her who is the alpha dog. My husband really didn't have much trouble, but I think that is because he has a low strong sounding voice. Do you have any advise that might help me?

It's starting to become not so pleasurable to be with her. I do not want this to become worse.

Thank you,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Her teeth are likely smaller and sharper than a Lab's. I have had mine for about 7 weeks, and she still needs more work. Yes, the deeper voice reminds her of how her mother growled when she bit her. You have to use good technique again, and again, and again...

Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about
    Biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting
    Another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months
    They are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking
    Moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another
    Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find
    One that won't yelp, jerk their hand away, and leave.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.
    Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.
    Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a
    Dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not
    Limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
    A good trick that works when a pup is biting is to yelp and walk away. This is the way a puppy learns from his littermates & his parents. They don't understand how hard they are biting. In their little minds, they are just playing. It is up to you to teach them that he is hurting you. Dogs are highly social animals and if you refuse to participate, you will immediately get his attention. As soon as he bites you say "OUCH" really loud and do your best to imitate a dogs yelp. Then turn away from the dog and walk away. Ignore him completely. He will immediately follow you and try to engage you in his favorite play (biting). When he sits, lies down, or just calms down, you can then pet him, give him attention, or hand him a safe toy to chew on and encourage him to bite the toy. When he bites you again, repeat the process. The worst thing to a puppy is to not get his person's attention. He craves it. It is going to take a lot of patience and practice on your part, but your dog will eventually get that if he wants your attention, he must stop the biting. After a while of repeating this process, he will eventually adjust his nipping to a softer bite. DO NOT allow him to even do that. No matter how soft he bites, or if he just mouths on you without any pressure, you need to repeat the "Ouch", yelp, and turn away routine. Doing this will eventually extinguish any biting behavior.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1 week old puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I week old puppy hasn't put any weight on. Eating well by bottle not by mother. What can I do

3 week old puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 week old puppy no mother I am bottle feeding. It is have a hard time having a bowel movement. He is on Esbilac, I ran out for a few days and mixed water and carnation canned milk he is now back on esbilac. What can I do?

7 week old Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We are waiting to get a puppy from an Amish farm... he will be 7 weeks when we pick him up. They are all kept in a barn... and I am very concerned about fleas! I have had a flea infestation before... and I do not want any animal with fleas. All the pet medications seem to say to wait until they...

My 9 week old puppy has turned vicious! [ 7 Answers ]

I recently got a toy fox terrier puppy as a gift from a loved one. She is from an independently owned pet store from a well known man in town. He claims the dogs are from lagit breeders in the area and are not inbred. I have taken her to get her shots. She has gone twice and the second time she got...

5 week old puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 week old german shepard black lab that will not eat or walk (only unless it has to). What should I do?

View more questions Search