Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sherley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 08:02 PM
    8 week old chihuahua, trouble eating... concern about socialization
    Hello All,

I am a first time puppy owner of a beautiful 8 week old little princess chihuahua named Cookie. She started eating the solid food the breeder provided, but has recently been reluctant to eat it. I was given Science Diet A/D to supplement her food if she was not eating, which she loved at first (2 days ago), but she is reluctant to eat that (the A/D) now as well. She is eating around a 1/4 cup of food per day (she is 1.5 lbs). I am worried she should be eating more.. I have also been giving her Nutra-Stat to supplement her diet if not eating, as directed by the breeder. She loves it but I'm not sure how much is 'too much'. I'm really concerned if I should see my vet or if I'm just an over protective mother. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am concerned if I'm socializing her correctly. I'm a woman on the go and have taken her with me to visit family, meet the work family, to the airport, etc. Is that OK? Should I be leaving her at home in her crate? (it breaks my heart). I don't want to deprive her of a smooth transition into her new home. Again, I'm a first timer and adore her, so any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sherley & Cookie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 08:51 PM
    The socialization issue is easier. Basically, take her anywhere you can now as long as you aren't exposing her to dogs that don't have all their shots or places a sick dog may have eliminated in the last 6 months. It is too easy to pickup a life threatening case of parvo or something. The more people, men, women, children, noise, etc. she is exposed to in the next month, the more comfortable she will be with them all her life. If a dog isn't going to live all its life in a kennel, the more it gets out before 12 weeks, the better.

The food is another matter. If you can, stick to the dry chow the breeder was feeding. I don't remember what the Science A/D is for. If you are feeding any decent chow, the dog doesn't need anything else. Evaluate it using LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog Unless it is already too thin, give it a few days to adjust to its new home and all your activities. Most puppies come from the breeder too fat. A 1/4 cup doesn't sound like enough, but it doesn't need to eat a whole lot. If it isn't eating any more and thinning out, get it to the vet before the weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old lab not eating [ 11 Answers ]

We got a lab that is about 3 or 4 weeks old yesterday. When we got him home, he threw up dog food. Went last night and bought him ol roy puppy food. Tried to feed him that and a bowl of water. Lapped up the water just fine, wouldn't touch the food. Later on he threw up the water (a few times)....

Chihuahua not eating [ 7 Answers ]

Got a chihuahua pup... 7 weeks... it won't eat its food we bought for her... we are trying to feed her eukanuba dog food... she will eat if we drop one kibble on the floor at a time... she will stop eating after the 10th kibble... however, she will eat chicken... She already went to the vet and...

Chihuahua Not Eating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old chihuahua who seems to occasionally suffer from upset stomaches. Every now and again, he'll eat grass outside, then come in and just lay around on the floor somewhere (rather than play with a toy or curl up on a couch and sleep). When this happens, it'll take a few hours but...

8 mnth kitten does not like 6 week old chihuahua [ 6 Answers ]

I need help with my kitten and new puppy,we introduced the kitty to the puppy and she hissed, grawled, and went crazy,then ran into the room and was really mad. I have never seen her this way she is usually very playful and nothing bothers her. What can I do?

View more questions Search