Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tops Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 06:21 AM
    New thermostat
    My old electric baseboard thermostat had 4 wires. The new one I purchased had 2. The electric box had 4. I connected one supply wire to one thermostat wire. I connected one load wire to the other thermostat wire. I connected the remaining supply and load wires together. I didn't blow any circuit breakers and it seems to be working however the baseboard heater doesn't seem to be putting out the same amount of heat as it did with the old thermostat.

Should I have connected the new one differently?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2005, 07:17 AM
    The old thermostat may have had 2 sets of contacts with each set connecting one heater allowing power to flow to one side of each. If these were 120 volt heaters, you now have them connected in series instead of parallel. As long as the new thermostat is rated for the total power, you need to connect both lines to one contact, and both loads to the other. If they are 240 volt, I don't see why they aren't working correctly.

Dec 19, 2005, 02:52 PM
    If I connect both supply wires (white and black) together with one wire from the thermostat, won't I short out the power line?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 03:58 PM
    I am sorry, I gave a rather poor answer, leaving out enough to make it easy to misinterpret. I am glad you knew better that to do what it sounded like I said. Connect the 2 black feeds to the line terminal and the 2 black load wires to the load terminal, or to either one if not marked. Then group the 4 white wires all together with a substantial wire nut or other connector. When the thermostat contacts close, the power will flow out the black and back the white.

Dec 19, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Thank you. Now with this explanation, I believe I've correctly wired my thermostat. There is actually only one black and one white feed wire along with one black and one white load wire. So as I said originally, I connected the one black feed to one thermostat wire and one load wire to the other. I connected the remaining load and feed wire together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a new Thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

:( Here’s my problem: I have a basic thermostat. It's the one that has the needle on the right side. I set it to 78 deg. And my AC unit will not turn off until it reaches 74 deg.'s:confused: Then when the temperature gets to 76 deg.'s my AC starts back up again! :eek: (hence with out the...

New thermostat -- no a/c [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We just replaced our thermostat. Seemed simple enough -- 4 wires, red, white, yellow, green. There is 24 V between red and all the others at the thermostat. When we set the temp to cool, you can hear the switch in the thermostat click, but no air comes out. It seems like the thermostat...

Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have two Maple Chasee (Robershaw now)thermostats in my house controlling two separate rooms. Recently one thermostat stopped turning heater on, but still working on cooling. My other thermostat worked fine both on cooling and heating. I bought a new Robershaw 9600 and replaced the old Maple...

Help with thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I just turned on the heat for the first time and I noticed that the lights for emergency heat and the Aux heat are on constantly... Its not really cold outside, like the low 60's. Is there something I can do, cause if all that is running, its going to overload my electric bill? Please help ...

View more questions Search