Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icedtea86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Separated, but 'ex' is not legal citizen, how do I file?
    I got married in Aug 2007 under false pretenses and am currently separated from him (although in North Carolina, I believe 'separation' is just one year of not living together, and after that year we file for divorce.) as of mid-september 2007.

I never changed any of my documents (social security, passport, driver's license) to his last name, if that matters.
    My question is, how am I supposed to file if he does not have a SSN or an ITIN and I do not live nor communicate with him?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 03:25 AM
    "You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree. State law governs whether you are married or legally separated under a divorce or separate maintenance decree."

This info is from IRS Publication 17: Your Individual Income Tax. Thus if you are legally separated, then your status is Single. If you are not legally separated on Dec 31, 2007, you status for the year is married, and you can file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. So in your situation you will file as Married Filing Separately and attach a statement for the SSN/ITIN.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
    MukatA has it right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US naturalized citizen to become French citizen? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello! I want to know what the process is like to become a French citizen for an American Naturalized Citizen (born in Armenia). My boyfriend is French, and we might get married but we might not. I want to know : 1)how I could be granted French Citizenship without marrying my boyfriend and...

2 years MIA file for legal physical custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that it is possible for my daughters father to file for legal physical custody of my daughter who he has not seen in 2 and a half years and he is not on her birth certificate (as of yet-his choice)... he was emotionally abusive to me and has never respected her... even terrorized...

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

View more questions Search