Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notaplummer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Glued pipe
    Can glued pvc pipe and fittings be separated and reused ?
    robholder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notaplummer
    Can glued pvc pipe and fittings be seperated and reused ?
    No unfortunately you can not reuse pvc that has been glued. Fortunately most pvc and fittings are inexpensive
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 04:54 AM
    The fittings are glued for good. You might be able to reuse the pipe after cutting the fittings off .
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2007, 05:31 AM
    No! When you prime and glue plastic it melts a little and welds itself together as one piece. Once glued a fitting can not be reused. Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 06:06 AM
    That depends -- If you're talking about cutting out the fittings and physically removing them and then relocating them elsewhere, then the answer is no.

However, if you're talking about reusing the hub of a single fitting because of a screw up or to add another fitting, then yes, it is possible to do so using any one of the tools I've linked to.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Thanks growler, Taught me something I didn't know. However, I wonder how many of these you carry on your truck? Unless you screwed up big time in running Plastic, how many times have you had to drill out a fitting so it can be reused? It just doesn't seem very cost effective to me. Big bucks for a outfit that you will use, how many times in your working life, to save a two dollar fitting? Just a observation on my part. Like my dad taught me. "son, Ya measure twice and cut once." That way you won't be having to cut out your mistakes. Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Thanks growler, Taught me something I didn't know. However, I wonder how many of these you carry on your truck?
    A complete set of 1-1/2" through 4".

Unless you screwed up big time in running Plastic, how many times have you had to drill out a fitting so it can be reused?
    Pretty much every time we set a finish.

We stub out with a six inch capped nipple on all lavatories during rough-in for testing purposes -- And then drill the pipe out on finish to accommodate a 1-1/2"x1-1/4" spigot trap adapter, high box escutcheon and chrome p trap.

Most of our work is fairly high-end -- And the last thing a customer wants to see is a piece of plastic pipe sticking out of the wall on a pedestal or wall hung lavatory.

It just doesn't seem very cost effective to me. Big bucks for a outfit that you will use, how many times in your working life, to save a two dollar fitting?
    Like I said, it gets used all the time, particularly during remodels and additions when it is more cost effective to reuse the hub of a wye or tee with a fitting stacked right on top of the hub than it is to replace the fitting and then try to manhandle a repair coupling on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing glued ABS fitting to ABS piping [ 5 Answers ]

I glued an ABS toilet flange to ab ABS pipe roughing. The fitting did not go down all the way and is 1/2" proud of the tile flooring. I now want to remove the fitting and replace with a new fitting. How do I do it without damaging the receiving pipe. Pipe is in concrete floor. Thanks, Bob

Removing urethane glued wood floor [ 2 Answers ]

I put down a solid wood (3/8) maple floor about a year ago (after hurricane Katrina). In the same room that the floors were installed, we later found that we had an unrepaired fireplace that allowed water to get under the wood floor, causing speed bumps in the room. We are now in the process of...

Glued Weave [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got a glued cap weave done, whereby a mesh cap was put over my head and a weave was glued onto it. My question is how do I remove it safely without damaging my skin and scalp? Thanks

Loosening a shower head that's been glued on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a showewr head that I need to remove. A simple wrench does not work because it looks like some type of pipe glue/bonding material was put on when it was installed. Is there any sort of chemical I can use to loosen this glue so I can remove the shower head?

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

View more questions Search