Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nomatter Posts: 25, Reputation: 0

Dec 9, 2007, 12:21 AM
    Need to get into a shape
    Hi, u can call me Willy.
    See guys, this is kind of embarassin but I hope you guys will make me feel comfortable and help me out here. I kind of have a shape problem here.. well I'm 18, I'm 5ft 4 inches, I'm slim and an ordinary looking girl my weight is 42.5kg. But I have a problem that is my belly. My stomach is not flat and I kind of have a belly. I see those starts on da TV wit flat stomachs.. I kind of envy that. :eek: I had a apendix operation done last year October.. after that I got this belly n 3 scars on my stomach. Now da thing is, in my country teenagers or slim girls don't go to da gym. Only da people wit lota weight go there. So do you think there is a way I can get my stomach into shape without going to da gym? Or do you think I should join da gym? What can I do? I really want to get this into a shape because its really odd. I hope u'l help me out here.. Thanks
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 9, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Sit ups in my opinion is one of the best things to do for a flat stomach.
    Shorty87 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Dec 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
    You don't have to be large to work out. I am a very small person 4 foot 11 inches and am only 105 pounds and I still work out every day. I don't always go to the gym... sometimes just a good jog around the block. Exercise is not just about getting in to shape its about staying in shape. I agree with mjl here. Sit ups do work good on the stomach. Kickboxing/taebo also works the stomach muscles and help get rid of "muffin top."

Dec 10, 2007, 02:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty87
    you don't have to be large to work out. i am a very small person 4 foot 11 inches and am only 105 pounds and i still work out every day. i don't always go to the gym...sometimes just a good jog around the block. excercise is not just about getting in to shape its about staying in shape. i agree with mjl here. sit ups do work good on the stomach. kickboxing/taebo also works the stomach muscles and help get rid of "muffin top."
    So in that case I'll start working out n do sit ups.. thanks to u both. :)
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Dec 10, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Sit ups tighten the abdominals, but they don't reduce fat. You should go jogging/ running. Jogging and running will not only help lose that extra little bit, but its really great exercise for your heart. Start small, work your way up. Don't get discouraged if you can't run a mile right off.. just maybe run around your block, go to a football field and do a lap or two. Set a goal and go after it. You should do bent let sit ups, crunches, and bicycles. Bicycles is a great exercise.. it really makes you feel like you are tightening those muscles. Here's how to do them: The Truth About Abs - 2 Best Ab Exercises (scroll to the bottom)
    Also, eat healthy. Up to 15% of your diet should be protein. Try your best to stay away from fatty foods.. and contrary to popular belief.. carbs are good for you.
    1 more thing... to maintain body weight, the calories you are losing should equal the calories you are taking in.. So try to expend (slightly) the amount of calories you take in.. And burn more calories, or vise versa. Remember to hydrate and you shouldn't be losing more than 2% of your body weight in a single session.

I hope I helped somehow.. good luck!
    surfluver1212 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Go for a run! Put your iPod in... walk what you have to but I do like 6 miles daily. But maybe 2 or 3 is a good start for you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Well I guess in the US it works the opposite, most skinny people go to stay in shape. But the issue is, why care what everyone else does, do what is good for you, and don't worry what others think.
    thereisno4evr Posts: 63, Reputation: 0

Dec 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
    To loose stomach fat you must drop 500 calories from your daily calorie intake.
    Doing sit ups will not get rid of that fat. It will build up the muscle, but without the loss of excess fat it won't make your stomach look flatter.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 11:59 PM
    I agree. Situps strengthen muscle, not get rid of fat.

Just watch what you eat, try to do more cardio.

I tried doing jumping jacks during the summer in my backyard. Try to do 200. Then 300. Then 400. Trust me, it's not as easy as it looks.

Dec 13, 2007, 01:28 AM
    Thanks to you all. You really helped. But I'm not going to join the gym, because I think just like you guys said, I can do it by jogging, and be careful about what I eat, and I also have a friend who is an instructor working at a gym. So I asked him, and he taught me pretty good exercises that I can do myself. But believe me, after I did those, I'm having sucha terrible muscle pain, but I'm not going to give up, I'm going to try my best to loose the fat in my stomach, and I'm going to make use of all the advises you all offered. Thank you...
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 05:57 AM
    I don't know if this'll be any inspiration to you, but when I started to work out, I took a picture of myself. Then I put it up in my workout area. After 6 weeks, I took another picture of myself and compared. Feels pretty good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atom shape [ 1 Answers ]

How does the number of electron pairs around a central atom determine it's shape?

Really Out of Shape [ 4 Answers ]

I played badminton yesterday and after 10 minutes I was breathing heavily and ready to pass out. What are some ways I can get into shape before the end of the month?

Tyring to get in shape [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm a 22 year old male and I'm trying to get into shape. Over the year pretty much I let myself go. I'm 6 foot, 190 pounds and my goal is to be around 170. I also want to build more muscle. I have a beer belly and a larger chest than most other guys. Until recently, I've pretty much been eating...

Star shape [ 1 Answers ]

Why stars have spherical shape?

View more questions Search