Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skychief Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2007, 03:07 AM
    Can she charge?
    My sister has POA on my father he is disabled she also takes care of my mother.My sister her self is disabled with receiving a ssc for disabitly. My question is this she never wants to spend none of there money on them just bare ness. the only thing my other bother and sisters can think of is that when the time comes she is going to present this hugh amount for taking care of them. Can she do this ,will the law allow this in Michigan . She has lived with my parents all her life and never had to pay rent even in her better years when she was working and making good money but she won't let them have any thing that is enjoyable.when we tell her to get something's for them like cable TV or other things to enjoy for whatever time they have on earth her saying is "she the poa and no one will tell her what to do". So the only thing I can think of is that she is going to hand the judge over a bill for taking care of them , can she do this. Before any one thinks well she should get paid since the other one are not helping but we do what we can by taking them out for dinner and to the doctors,but we all have jobs and she dosen't cause of her disibitly. Also what part will her receiving ss disibitly checks have on the outcome of her charging money to take care of them when she is totally disabled herself. My attoreny said to go to court to have the poa taken away but my parents are still better off at there house then at some nursing home.
    Thanks in advance
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 06:10 AM
    She may have the power of attorney to manage their money affairs, and I am assuming they are unable to do this themselves, but as far as decision making is concerned, anything your parents need to make their life more enjoyable should be a joint decision between their children.

What judge are you referring to? Do you mean she will charge the estate after your parents are gone for services rendered.

If you have her POA taken away, it doesn't mean they will go in a nursing home, it just means that someone else will have control.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 06:22 AM
    First you seem to thing having POA is some big thing, it merely means she can sign a paper for them if they are not able to or present. She can not tell them what to do, if they wish to do or spend something she can not stop them merely as a poa, they can tell her today, you are no longer our poa and sign a paper and she can't sign for them any longer.

If she is a care giver and family member normally a family member unless prior arrangements are made, do not receive any money, of course she can sue the estate latter for this, and tell the judge anything she wants to, but then you fight it in court. This is also common.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do they have the Right to be in charge? [ 19 Answers ]

Why does the governernment have the right to be in charge? To even exist? I didn't agree to be Australian, I didn't vote to say "lets form a government" so why should I have to follow their rules, even acknwoledge their existence? Who in the first place, in history, actually said "Thats it, im...

Old Charge [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question and I really need an answer as soon as possible. Someone I know was being accused of sexual assault so he turned himself in, he was not arrested. He stood before the judge with his attorney and was given an Anger Management class because apparently there was no proof. This...

Charge of? [ 1 Answers ]

On one of my credit report one credit card said charge of? What does that mean?

Under Or Over Charge! [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Know If The System Under Or Over Charge Without Using The Gauge.

View more questions Search