Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JZA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Insurance info needed
    I was involved in an accident aprox 2yrs ago, no police report was made. It was my fault I was driving a company vehicle. An agreement was made between myself and the other driver to get quotes from repair shops and I/company would pay for damages as not to go through the company insurance and raise our rates. Instead he went through his insurance without notifiying me. His company does not have any account of the accident or any of my information. All they know is the model of van I was driving.. They are trying to track me down through a family member who is insured with their company and I guess are aware of our relation. They are currently threatening to get a lawyer and file a suit against me if I do not pay them the money.

(1)Am I still %100 responsible for this and will they have a case
    (2)Do I have any other option but to pay

I would appreciate any advice I can get.. as well I live in ontario I'm not sure if the laws for these things vary
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Your conscience is making you feel guilty? You know that you are responsible, but as yet not obligated?
    If you were certain, in your own mind, then you would feel better coming forward.
    You may be able to negotiate some of the tab. There is much profit and overlap in body work.

But I got to ask:
    How can they track you through your(?) family member if they don't have any your info?

And, I think the insurance company already has a few lawyer's!
    What it sounds like is they don't have a case.
    They have to connect you, as the responsible party, to the incident.
    If they could connect you, you'd know. Trust me.
    JZA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Your conscience is making you feel guilty? You know that you are responsible, but as yet not obligated?
    If you were certain, in your own mind, then you would feel better coming forward.
    You may be able to negotiate some of the tab. There is much profit and overlap in body work.

But I gotta ask:
    How can they track you thru your(?) family member if they don't have any your info??

And, I think the insurance company already has a few lawyer's!
    What it sounds like is they don't have a case.
    They have to connect you, as the responsible party, to the incident.
    If they could connect you, you'd know. Trust me.
    First of all thank you for the quick reply.. I just realized I left out earlier that I did give him my personal info so he has my name etc.. And I believe the insurance company has linked me to a family member through my last name and they want me to submit a report of the accident.. I'm not feeling guilty about it because it's not my intention to screw this guy.. what I'm unsure of is.. we had a verbal agreement (which I know is really nothing)to settle outside of insurance.. now it seems I'm on the hook for a bunch of money which seems like a lot more than it should have cost to repair the damage. Am I still responsible? I'm sort of upset about it because of how much time has elapsed and being I was not consulted/notified before these repairs were made... that how am I to know more damage didn't occur in the mean time perhaps intentionaly inflicted. And with no police report do they have a case against me and can I be sued if he is trying to get more money out of me?. I hope that made sense? Any further info would be appreciated thank again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Yes if you had an agreement with them to pay, and it was your fault, of course they have a case. And what you should do I report it to your insurance company and let them handle it.
    Beyond that, if it was your fault, and you agreed to pay, then you should pay.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JZA
    first of all thank you for the quick reply.. i just realized i left out earlier that i did give him my personal info so he has my name etc.. and i believe the insurance company has linked me to a family member through my last name and they want me to submit a report of the accident .. i'm not feeling guilty about it because it's not my intention to screw this guy.. what i'm unsure of is.. we had a verbal agreement (which i know is really nothing)to settle outside of insurance .. now it seems i'm on the hook for a bunch of money which seems like alot more than it should have cost to repair the damage. Am i still responsible? I'm sort of upset about it because of how much time has elapsed and being i was not consulted/notified before these repairs were made... that how am i to know more damage didn't occur in the mean time perhaps intentionaly inflicted. and with no police report do they have a case against me and can i be sued if he is trying to get more money out of me?.... i hope that made sense? any further info would be appreciated thank again.
    We frequently disagree with how much it costs.
    You stated that the accident was your fault. You didn't say only if less than a certain dollar amount.

I hope that others reading this will learn: keep an inexpensive disposable camera in your car. If you are in an accident, take pictures of you car, then their's, then your's again, then their's again, and then you and the other people involved as well as other things that might be of use later: weather conditions, traffic conditions, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email info needed! [ 1 Answers ]

What was the exact date when the first email was used? Getting mad (:mad: ) over it please help!:confused:

Lien Info Needed [ 1 Answers ]

If a lien has been placed on your home or other property will you be notified, or can a company place a lien on your home and never notify you? Or will you be notified by the courts if everything is done legally?

Info needed on starting up? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to start my own business. I should say cookie business. I am currently a Data Analyst in Rhode Island. I would like to have something for myself and enjoy it. I am not afraid of hard work or long hours and also I realize that I should start from my home and see how it goes. Having...

Insurance Needed [ 7 Answers ]

I am 18 and I don't have insurance. I don't have parents to help me or any financial support. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anyway of getting health insurance for free but immediately near Oakland California... I am having a lot of physical and emotional problems and I need to get it...

View more questions Search