Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raggablue Posts: 347, Reputation: 22

Jan 7, 2008, 03:42 AM
    I am not trying to start any battles, just gain knowledge. Carnegie said 'you can never win an arguement'
    I don't think that the perfectly natural plesures of sex should be restricted to those with enough MONEY to raise a child with two cars and cable, sex (for fun) should be confined to those mature enough to practice safe sex
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Jan 7, 2008, 03:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by raggablue
    im not in the US so you can throw as many stats as you like at me you'll only be boosting your own ego rather than educating me but i think someones telling porkies because you can get broadband for as little as $20 to my knowledge so your either being conned by your service provide or your being conned by your greengrocer

Not here... they have just upped the dial up to 24.95 a month... you can still find a select few for $10-15 per month. DSL is roughly $38 per month. It depends on how far in the country or where in the city you live. (Just so you aren't in the dark here) That is why it is such a big deal with welfare. You can have things that aren't needed, but you can't pay for your own mistakes/mishaps/children (whatever the case may be). I can do some major grocery shopping with 40 bucks.

EDIT: The problem is... she didn't protect herself... so there should be a limit on age of responsibility.

EDIT AGAIN::::: Someone should really balance Synnen out... reddies should not have been given because you disagree... read the rules please (Synn... I would, but I love you too much it says, lol)

Jan 7, 2008, 03:53 AM
    There is a legal age of concent

Jan 7, 2008, 03:57 AM
    Legal age of consent has nothing to do with this. That means she is of age to know the difference in yes and no, but whether she listens to her parents advise as far as right and wrong... that is another story. Please tell me you don't really think 15 or 17 is okay to be popping out babies. Please! That is just setting both kids up for future disappointments (baby and mother are the kids). What raise each other?

Jan 7, 2008, 04:08 AM
    I'm not saying its ideal but these people are not copletely useless, kids as young as 12 have had plain bad luck an ended up running a family of 4, extreme case I know but it puts thing in perspective. Kids that have been pulled through the system, jumping from one insecure foster home to the next have managed to raise children in a stable to become the perfect statistic. Its hard but it can be done
    brown_eyes_3546 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jan 7, 2008, 04:20 AM
    I appoligize to synne for doing that twice. I didn't realize that I had disagreed with her earlier. There are so many posts I didn't go back to check. I try not to do that twice to someone.

Anyway. Welfare and medicaid are different. Me and my boyfriend pay $1200 plus a month in rent and other things. And I did try to protect myself. I am having a birth control baby. My doc found the problem with my because and it has been noted for future references so it will work next time. And no I don't feel guilty for being on medicaid. Oh and synn or whoever it was talking about government money for a house at 30 yea they do that too. If you find the right web site you can find grants for first time home buyers and education and just paying bills and you don't have to be broke to get them you have to have never used any other government programs in the US. So yes if you do your homework you can go to college for free or get a down payment on your home and many other things like that!

And I could cover my medical expenses but it is there and if I don't use it someone else will so why not me. And yes my boyfriend does pay 600 every paycheck. He makes $24 an hour and works at least 48 hours a week. He makes time and a half for all overtime and that gets taxed extra. We live together and plan on getting married but my parents won't sign for it and I don't feel like going through the hassel of getting emancipation papers filed even though I am emancipated I have yet to get the paper work done. (in my state emancipation is automatic when a student graduates) and I haven't finished school I still have two years left to get my bachelors.

I know I am not the average but I don't feel it is right to judge everyone by the statistics. Each person is different and as I said if there is a will there is a way. It is not fair to any teenager that has good intentions to be told by everyone that she is a burdon on society because it is not always the case and I agree it should put out there as a possible outcome but the other options need to be put out there also so that a young girl doesn't feel trapped. There are many many options just in the venue of adoption and many more ranging from abortion to keeping it and raising it herself. But if all that is presented to her is adoption and the fear of being put in jail a teen especially a pregnant one could end up killing herself or the baby. To avoid getting into trouble. None of us know this girl personally so no one can say she would or wouldn't. The decision is hers to make and all we can do is give advice we need not attack her for any reason I'm sure her mother has done this already. I'm sure the mother has told her how irresponsible and immature or w.e other words anyone could or want to use to explain her actions. No matter how bad her decisions were she needs advice and comfort not to be chastized for something that she cannot take back.

Jan 7, 2008, 04:34 AM
    I never said I couldn't afford my doctor bills for the baby and even if I couldn't I have some pretty good reasons for not being able to that have nothing to do with my age or income. But that has nothing to do with this so I will open another thread if you wish to explore that with me. Maybe some people will have the alknowing answers to that delima.

Jan 7, 2008, 05:07 AM
    But that is the point that is trying to be made... if you can afford, why not leave that money to pay for someone else's education (government money). If your boyfriend makes that much... you should easily be able to make payments and pay on your own (just my opinion here).

There is a big difference in being 15 with no education (obvious from posts) and being a little ahead of the game (as you are). Not saying that you shouldn't have waited, because I believe you should have (mistakes happen... mine did at almost 30, although the best mistake of my life... I wouldn't have made it as far as I have with a baby on my hip at 15). My point in all of this, at that age you haven't fully grown and experienced life yourself... why would you want to give that up to raise a child or have sex period? (When I use the word you... I don't necessarily mean YOU... I mean any girl under-aged.)

There are no all-knowing people here on earth... but we do the best we can... maybe we will just come and check it out... as you see you'll get our opinions :)

Jan 7, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    But that is the point that is trying to be made.....if you can afford, why not leave that money to pay for someone else's education (government money). If your bf makes that much....you should easily be able to make payments and pay on your own (just my opinion here).

There is a big difference in being 15 with no education (obvious from posts) and being a little ahead of the game (as you are). Not saying that you shouldn't have waited, because I believe you should have (mistakes happen...mine did at almost 30, although the best mistake of my life...I wouldn't have made it as far as I have with a baby on my hip at 15). My point in all of this, at that age you haven't fully grown and experienced life yourself...why would you want to give that up to raise a child or have sex period? (When I use the word you...I don't necessarily mean YOU...I mean any girl under-aged.)

There are no all-knowing people here on earth....but we do the best we can...maybe we will just come and check it out....as you see you'll get our opinions :)
    Damn ill learn one day to only quote a small part rather than the whole thing. Anyway I tottally agree with you about a baby holding you back if you have one too early career wise but you will advance emotionaly but... if you wait too long you run the risk of ruining your child's life by not being sharp enough not being apt for its requirements

Jan 7, 2008, 05:29 AM
    I didn't intentionally get pregnant but I was on because so I did the best I could.I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion I just get frustrated with people "attacking" others opinion. Attacking is not the word but it is 7 am here and I haven't been to bed <see my post days and night smixed up> and I cnat think of a proper word. I would have waited if it were up to me but I don't regret it because I think it will be the best thing that has happened to me. I owe my hospital 70,000 for surgeries from a drink driving accident. I was a victim not the drunk one. That is why we chose to get on medicaid. I could do it all but it would be overwhelming and the system is abused so much that at least I am not using the medicaid to abort like so many girls at least around here do.

I understand that having an education is different and people tend to think I'm an idiot because I have had very different experiences than the normal so I know with determination things are always possible so I give people the benefit of the doubt because without support no one has the confidence to try.

It is my understanding that so much money is set aside for each program so if it doesn't get used in one department it doesn't transfer to the others it is just left there for the next year but I am not a government accountant so I can't be sure. It is my experience from accounting classes that excess money doesn't typically change expense accounts? Like I said I'm not sure government may be different.

I am not sure where to start a thread on that though. I have a lot of ?'s with it but they are all over and I need a lawyer to answer them. I will come back and tell you.

Jan 7, 2008, 05:31 AM
    So the optimum time to have a baby, you need to be strong enough both emotionly and financially say above 20
    And you need to be young enough so you don't slow down right when your child speeds up
    The needs and requirements of children change every generation so you shouldn't be old enough to be their grandparent.
    Which makes the best time to become a parent beetween 20 and 30, oh what a surprise, slap bang in the middle of you vocational prime.
    Conclusion; it is always a bad time to give birth
    yari73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Not here 2 pass judgement however getting pregnant intentionally was a dumb move. I can understand how your mom feels as parents we want the best for our kids maybe she viewed you as finishing college living a good life not pregnant at 15. I don't know what the laws are in your state but you have to understand your still a minor and mom is responsible for you. If you insist on keeping your baby then you need to maybe look into programs for teen mothers some program offer housing and allow you to finish school. I had my 1st daughter at 16 but I lived in a rented room and got up every morning at 6am to pack up my baby and go to school. It's a rough road ahead and you better be ready cause no one is going have pity on you. Now you have to find a way to support your baby and still make something of yourself. Dad is only 13 is sad. Think about it. Adoption will give you your childhood back and give your baby a better life. I know 20 years from now your baby would understand why you did it. 15 and 13 years old is not parents you guys are babies yourself. If you still decide to keep baby. Then be ready to face the music and become an adult. Get your g.e.d. At least and take some kind of trade school and find a job. Forget parties and mall trips with the girls. For the next 18 years your going to have to deal with diapers earaches, runny noses and trips back and forth 2 babysitters while you work. I did it and it was hell but thank god my daughter is now 17 and is starting college in June. She is a very grounded and mature young lady. She doesn't even date she is into her friends shopping and work. So for a teen mom I think I did a good job but it doesn't always turn out that way. I have a lot of friends who lost there kids 2 da state. Anyway just do the right thing and it will work out.

Jan 7, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Not many 17-18 year olds wear diapers

Jan 7, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Yari said "for the next 18 years your gonna have to deal with diapers"
    What kind of silly word is diapers anway
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 06:50 AM
    brown_eyes_3546 agrees: but the coomplications you mentioned are more common in older women than teens. The girl is in more danger than the baby due to underdeveloped body as long as she eats properly.
    As a nurse intern in Labor & Delivery, I have to disagree with this. Complications are very serious with teens. PIH (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension) happens at any age, more common in the teen and older women, however, Pre-eclampsia and Eclampsia are much higher in the teen population. CPD (Cephalopelvic disproportion) is most often associated with teen pregnancies, and if not caught early, can have devastating effects on the baby if a C-Section is not done promptly.

I see these syndromes more with the teen population than I do the older women. The teenage body is just not prepared to cope with the strenuous task of pregnancy, labor and delivery.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brown_eyes_3546
    i appoligize to synne for doing that twice. i didnt realize that i had disagreed with her earlier. there are so many posts i didnt go back to check. i try not to do that twice to someone.
    First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

In one response you called Synnen out for using generalties that were untrue. But they weren't. Yes, children have begat children and made a success out of it. But there are many more examples of teen pregnancies that resulted in hardship and tragedy. Even those that made a success out of it had to struggle to do so. So when a 15 yr old tells us she DELIBERATELY got pregnant, I think a moral outrage is more than justified.

As far as the statutory rape thing. If the parents of these two children want the child put up for adoption, then pressing the statutory rape charge is a good tactic.

But we have gone far afield here. The original question of whether the child can be taken away was answered long ago. Nor have we gotten any further input from the OP. What the thread seems to have centered on is two points.
    1) Should we show compassion for a teen who deliberately got herself pregnant
    2) Is it OK for children to have babies.

The first point is a matter of opinion. I think I've made mine clear. On the second point, I can't imagine anyone of sound mind who would think such an idea shouldn't be put down.

Jan 7, 2008, 07:49 AM
    j_9: I based my statement on Chapel Hills recent stats. My cousin has her masters in prenatal nursing there and also works in lobor and deliery. You both differ greatly in opinion she has pointed out to me that different areas of the country and world have different common probems for unknown reasons.deseases are the same but who and where they arecommon in differ greatly across the world. She has said that in your area it may be more common in teens but here t is more common in women 30+ having children. I do not question your expertise I rspect that you are in nursing school but as she works in my area with some of the most complicated deliveries in the state I take her advice more to heart because she knows me personally and is here. She has also said thatyounger women have much easier times in her 3 years of experience there.

Scott: I agree that wanting a babyis not a good thing at 15 but I also think her mothe has beat that into her head enough which is why she is here or help not crying in her mothers lap. That's all I had to say. More advice less critique.

Sorry all that my typing is sorry. My keys are sticking for some odd reason.
    fiona445 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jan 7, 2008, 12:46 PM
    I'm just dropping by and saying- she has had a baby, been through all the pain and brought a baby into the world. She loves this baby and wants to keep it, so why not, yes she proabally won't be able to afford it but having to give up a baby could proably be one of the worst things she could give up. And as for seducing - maybe they were very close and she knew what she was doing to prove that she wanted a baby and knew about the reprocutions. And yes I am a very bad speller but the spell check isn't helping me either
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fiona445
    she has had a baby, been through all the pain and brought a baby into the world.
    Actually when she posted this she said was was pregnant meaning the baby hadn't been born yet.

The fact is she has exercised extremely poor judgement in deleiberately getting pregnant at her age. So I sincrely doubt she has considered all the repercussions.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fiona445
    im just dropping by and saying- she has had a baby, been through all the pain and brought a baby into the world. she loves this baby and wants to keep it, so why not, yes she proabally wont be able to afford it but having to give up a baby could proably be one of the worst things she could give up. and as for seducing - maybe they were very close and she knew what she was doing to prove that she wanted a baby and knew about the reprocutions. and yes i am a very bad speller but the spell check isnt helping me either

While I admit I wouldn't force adoption on my worst enemy--I'm thinking about the baby with my recommendations.

I'm a birthmom--and it IS hard. But--I never have to wonder where my child's next meal is coming from, either. And--deliberately getting pregnant at 15 doesn't scream "World's Greatest Mom!" to me, either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

Pregnant agen or still pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! Had a misscariage 4 weeks ago and now have a positive pregnancy test result, my belly feels bloated and breasts feel tender all the pregnant symptoms but if I was less than four weeks would I be getting these feelings or is it possible I didn't have a misscaraig and am still...

Could I be pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I had an iud put in about 5 month ago and this past couple of weeks my emotions have been all over the place. Like they were when I was pregnant. I have been having pains and tightening in my abdomen and a very light period that only lasted about 3 days. My husband says that I have been acting like...

Why I can't get pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been having sex it seems like forever unprotected and everything but I never get pregnant why it that?? Is something wrong with my body?

Am I pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

My baby is almost 4 months old and I am extremely tired even after taking 2 naps during the day. Furthermore, I am experiencing some headaches. Is it possible that I am pregnant?

View more questions Search