Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kadit Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Dec 7, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Husky "Blowing His Coat" and tips on how to keep it under control?
    Ever since I got Luka every couple months, he starts shedding PROFUSELY, lol. I did some research and found out that it was called "blowing his coat" and was a common thing. How often it happens, I've come to the conclusion, depends on where the dog lives as there are so many conflicting reports. I live in the midwest and he's an inside dog. However, none of the websites have been able to give me good information on how to get the hair out of my carpet, off my furniture, or even floating around in the air! I comb him at least once a day during this process and sometimes more. I've been using a flea comb on him as the expensive shedding comb I bought doesn't touch the fuzz in his undercoat that is actually creating all the mess. The flea comb gets the job done but Luka hates it. I have to make him lie down and giving him a treat afterward doesn't even help as the next time I go to comb him it's a struggle all over again. Any ideas you guys might have, especially on ways to cleanse my house of all the hair would be greatly appreciated as my allergies kick up into overdrive during this process. My doctor says its all the extra pet danger that irritates them and to get rid of the extra hair. Ha! Easier said then done, lol
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Kong sells a rubber brush, that strips hairs from my cats that I did not know they had.. it clings to the brush and I get gobs of fur from it... you can also run it over your sofa. etc.. I also saw rubber brooms that did the same thing but I can't remember where I saw them
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 09:12 PM
    There are various brushes and different seem to have better luck with different ones. I like the wire slicker brush.

I was given a Furminator. It seemed to do about the same job on my labs as the slicker brush, only slower. When my son was here in the spring I tried it on his Fox Hound. It seem to work well.

I was given a stray to keep a few year ago. He looked like he could be a purebred Husky, beautiful eye spots. I named him London. About a month after he went to school, I had to pull our kitchen range out. Gone, but not without a trace.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Kadit. Here is the product that I was talking about in my first post. I don't know if it would live up to its claims, I saw the infommerical a year or so ago.Sweepa Rubber Broom The rubber brush that you see on this site... I bought one similar to it a kmart, I can say that I feel like the Kong brand works much better.ZoomGroom Flexible Rubber Pet Brush by Kong Here is the zoom groom by kong, Meijers and petsmart sells them. Not sure if they would work for a Huskey.
    spiritlegend04 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I am a dog groomer and see this problem a lot. I have 4 huskies. Huskies typically should only "blow out" their fur twice a year. Some common things that cause this to happen more often is their food. Make sure your not feeding them just anything. Some dog foods that you get in the store such as Walmart are basically like feeding them Fast food everyday. Their skin and coat aren't as healthy as they could be therefore they shed more. Brushing them with rubber brushes such as the ZoomGroom is awesome for taking out the dead hairs. Look at the ingredients on your dog food to make sure that it always starts with meat and doesn't have biproducts in it. Good Luck:)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 08:59 PM
    You have proof dogs shed more on grain based chows or those with by products in them? Please give me a reference to a controlled test proving that.
    zyi Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Dec 9, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Have you tried one of those brushes for the vacume, would he be scared of it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Change drive belt on mtd tractor "husky tractor" [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Any one know an easy way to change belt? And how to loosen pully bolt in bottom of motor?

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

Cannot open "display" in my control panel. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi' I have always been able to figure out how to fix my problems and now I have one I can't seem to fix without reinstalling windows xp. I cannot open my display in the control panel or even in my command prompt. It doesn't give me an error message or anything it just doesn't open. I need some...

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search