Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Dec 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Canine Glaucoma
    This year I had to have Cocoas eye removed because of glaucoma,the eye would nearly double in size and she was in pain,no meds. Other than pain helped.I did'nt let it go for long either.I had the choice of having her sedated and having the fluid drained or complete removal.I choose removal and I worried that I would loose her during surgery because of her age,14,and the many health problems she has.I was there through the whole thing and she breezed through it fine.My question is if anyone else on here has had this problem and if they have ,has the remaining eye been affected yet?I have her on Timolol drops to slow the progression and so far it has worked.I know the sooner you treat the better.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I knew of a whole litter that developed glaucoma first in one eye and then the other and eventually lost both eyes. Those dogs have fared fairly well. I still occasionally see some of them or at least they are in the Christmas letter.

But it is the mark of the inexperienced to generalize from one example. There was something radically wrong for a whole litter of young dogs to lose their sight by a year old. I have speculated that since the lady that had the mother took her to her elementary classroom, she may have eaten some art supplies or something. At that time, I was seeing a lot of her and 2 other families that had puppies.

I don't know if this group is still functional or not, [email protected].
    There is no charge for being on this list. They can suggest books - the
    Best one, the title is "Living with Blind and Low Vision Dogs" by Caroline Levin.) The author is on the above mentioned list and she jumps in regularly to answer
    e-mails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Glaucoma [ 2 Answers ]

:-/This week my opthomologist told me I have glaucoma. He said to come back in a month. That was all he said and I'm kinda' scared. Iresearched some online, I don't fit any profiles. Is this a normal way for a diagnosis to be made? Thank you

Yoga and Glaucoma / Avoiding Head Down Postures [ 0 Answers ]

I have normal tension glaucoma and have been told to avoid doing things Like having my head below my heart (i.e. being upside down) for long Periods (longer than around 5 minutes). I am possibly interested in taking a yoga class, but have heard that in This practice, head down or inverted...

What is glaucoma? [ 4 Answers ]

What is it and how can it be treated? Is it curable? Symptoms?

Canine Cavities [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Golden Retriever puppy.. and when he was teething during the last two months... some of his teeth we not loose enough to fall out on their own very easily... but eventually they fell out. One tooth in particular ( one of the upper canines ) did not fall out until it was almost...

View more questions Search