Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aspivelox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Magical Triple A Guy (How did he start my Honda Civic?)
    Hopefully, this is not a redundant Honda Civic Question…

A few days ago I went out to start my 2000 Honda Civic LX and it wouldn’t turn over. It had been parked for a day. I ended up calling triple A and the guy first checked my battery. It was rated marginal. He used his handheld jump, but that wouldn’t get the car to start. Then he went back to his truck, I should explain that he didn’t appear to speak much English, and got some gas. My tank was ¾ full so a lack of gas wasn’t the problem. He poured ~ a tablespoons worth through my air filter. I tried to start the car again, but that didn’t fix it. Then it appeared that he reached down into, or near, the filter and while I tried to start the car he pushed something. It promptly turned over. I put my car in neutral and he was able to manipulate the RPMs with his hand. As I was still in the car I couldn’t see what he was doing. Anyway, that seemed to fix the problem and my car hasn’t had a problem starting since. I tried to ask him about what was wrong with my car and it sounded like it was something with my fuel pump, but that it wasn’t serious.

Basically, I’m wondering what exactly he did to get my car to start (I couldn’t see very well from the driver’s seat) and how I could replicate the experience myself if my car fails to start again.

Thanks.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 9, 2005, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspivelox
    Basically, I’m wondering what exactly he did to get my car to start (I couldn’t see very well from the driver’s seat) and how I could replicate the experience myself if my car fails to start again.

Thanks.
    Right now, the only reasonable thing to push while starting the car (and manipulate the rpms) is the throttle cable. Your gas pedal is connected to the throttle body via a throttle cable. Throttle body is attached to the intake manifold, and a tube that brings air from the filter to the intake manifold is connected to the other side of the throttle body. It has a spring on itself. When you start the car and put it in neutral, you can go to the throttle body and operate the cable with your hand... if that makes you happy :)

However, I'm not sure how he would explain something is wrong with the fuel pump, since it's driven by electricity, and you cannot push anything under the hood to operate the pump. Also, when you turn the key to "II" listen to the sounds in your car. If you hear a humming sound from behind which stops at the same time that you hear a click from under the dash - your fuel pump is working fine.

I'd go and get my computer connected to a OBD-II diagnostics tool to read errors from your ECU (ECM).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 05:25 PM
    I am puzzled too, and hoped Cro would come up with a good answer. With the old carburetors, you had to kick the gas pedal to set the choke. I think they were long gone by 00. I have always heard that messing with the gas pedal accomplishes nothing with fuel injection.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2005, 08:51 PM
    Stuck throttle plate?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 09:52 PM
    Hey, that could be it. I understand you can use wide open throttle to clear a flooded engine because on start, it shuts off the injectors. If it was stuck wide open, knocking it loose would allow starting the engine. Adding the gas to the air filter and having it fire a little would have told him the problem was a lack of gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so now the ignitor and the coils have been replaced and the car still will not start. My neighbor, who is a Honda mechanic, says that my only other option is to replace the computer... IS THIS TRUE>>?? :(

96 honda civic won't start 1.6L [ 5 Answers ]

I know you've seen this subject before, but here is my senario: I drove the car home late one night during a snow storm and shut it off. Two days later the car won't start. Here are the symptoms: Engine turns over and occasionally pops like its going to start (then floods). I got spark I...

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 11 Answers ]

I bought this car... it ran terrible. I had the fuel tank and lines drained due to contaminated fuel. Then I had a tune up done to it by my friend who is a Honda Mechanic. It ran but continued to have a miss (w/ no noise) just a jerk in the car that I could feel and my passengers. If and when it...

View more questions Search