Ask
    rihoba Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Changing washers
    How to change a shower washer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Shut off the main water supply and open a faucet somewhere else to blow off pressure. Remove the handle and the escutcheon and you should see a threaded ring or nut at the base of the valve stem. Remove the nut and turn the knob counter clockwise to pull the stem, washer is on the bottom held by a phillips screw.
    rihoba Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Shut off the main water supply and open a faucet somewhere else to blow off pressure. Remove the handle and the escutcheon and you should see a threaded ring or nut at the base of the valve stem. Remove the nut and turn the knob counter clockwise to pull the stem, washer is on the bottom held by a phillips screw.
    My problem is I can't get the handles off is there a tool for this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2007, 02:06 PM
    my problem is I can't get the handles off is there a tool for this?
    Yes there is and they call it a "handle puller",(see image). They work just like a wheel puller. Pick one up at a plumbing wholesale house. Good luck, Tom,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Tom's tool would work but did you find and remove the retaining screw? Don't use the tool until you find the screw, sometimes it is a hex set screw on the side or a phillips screw hidden under a plastic cap or grommet. Once the screw is removed then give it a tug or use the puller.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Over flow valves on dish washers [ 2 Answers ]

We are putting in a new sink and counter tops the sink will go under the counter. I noticed that the sink just has one hole for the faucet but no hole for the DishWasher Overflow valve, where does the overflow valve go? Will my plumber know? The counter tops are granite and so is the sink. Help ...

Front load washers [ 3 Answers ]

Why does my front load washer sometimes not spin out all the water.I could understand if it never did but it's only sometimes?? :confused:

Basements/ejector pumps/washers [ 11 Answers ]

A twist on a familiar question posted here... I am attempting to move my washer/dryer into my basement. It is rough plumbed for a bath, with a 4 inch waste line dumping into a sewage ejector pit. Can I cut a tee into that 4 inch waste line and route my 2 inch washer drain line into it? I am...

Pressure Washers [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for assistance in determing what size pressure washer is needed for 'general' household use (i.e. cleaning siding, decks, sidewalks) Thanks

View more questions Search