Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lola1974 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Back flow from dishwasher
    What causes the water to backflow from the little silver thing on the back of the sink for the dishwasher
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Dec 4, 2007, 10:05 PM
    That is a syphon break. It has a rubber flapper inside. When the dishwasher drains, the water pushes that flapper up to block the opening on top. When the dishwasher stops draining and water stops the flapper drops back down to allow air into the drain line to stop the water from syphoning back into the dishwasher. If it is leaking then that flapper is not sealing and the syphon break needs to be replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back Flow Preventer [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering installing a backflow preventer to eliminate sewer water that backs up in the basement. Do you know if this device is installed inside the basement or outside the wall? Also do you have the name of a good company who could do the installation? I would greatly appreciate a...

Water back up from dishwasher in sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a dishwasher and my sink has a disposal. I am having a problem that i was wondering if i need a plumber to correct. When my washer is in use water comes up into the disposal side of the sink. Also sometimes i find water laying in the bottom of my dishwasher that is stagnant and...

Washing machine back flow. [ 1 Answers ]

I had a maytag washing mashine before, and I replaced by a Roper vertical. I can see a back flush I guess, when the washing mashin is in use. The washing machine is in the far right side of the house and we can not use the toilet on that side of the house. Do you think the septic tank is full or...

Washer back flow [ 1 Answers ]

Our washer is overflowing from the drain pipe into the basement, what could this be? The toilets, shower or sinks do don't back up. Only the washer after 3-4 loads?

Ball missing in sewer drain to prevent back flow [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to replace the missing ball in my basement floor drain without completely removing the existing pipe and concrete floor? The drain has backed up a few times but nothing major; a partial clog has been removed. I would like to replace the ball before anything serious happens. ...

View more questions Search