Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    reneco's Avatar
    reneco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 6, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Who gets money for house
    We married and bought a house in her name. I have no credit. Been together 11 years, married 7 of them. Bought house right after marriage. Were divorcing. Do I get 1/2 the money on the sale of the house? I live in massachusettes.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 6, 2005, 08:14 PM
    There is never a for sure in divorce settlements.

    They may look at various issues, the best thing is to contact a divorce attorney. But also remember that they will try and win, but do not always
    fredg's Avatar
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

    Dec 7, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Another has already answered with a good answer... you need a lawyer.
    Please don't try going through a divorce without one, you will wind up a big loser in court.
    A lawyer can answer your question, about half the money for the house. My first guess is (and I am not a Professional) is that since the house is in her name, you won't get anything from it. That might be why she left it in her name in the first place.
    That's why you need a lawyer, to give you Professional advice, and to also draw up divorce papers, telling you what to sign, agree to, and what not to agree to. I do wish you the best. I was divorced many yrs ago, after 7 yrs of marriage, and had a lawyer... glad I did!
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Dec 7, 2005, 06:09 PM
    In all likelihood, yes. Since the two of you shared the home during your marriage it is considered a marital asset. You were dependent on that home as a place of residence while married so it's almost a certainty that the judge would order the two of you to split the proceeds from the sale of the house. Talk to an attorney to be sure but I'd be very surprised if it didn't turn out that way.
    slippydippydo's Avatar
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Dec 12, 2005, 08:07 PM
    Again, check with a divorce lawyer, but.. . In most circumstances, property acquired after marriage is marital property and subject to division by the divorce court.
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

    Dec 12, 2005, 11:38 PM
    Check with a divorce attorney.

    But, I believe the answer is yes. Since this house was your matrimonial home (the place you 2 resided in as a married couple), than it is a marital asset and you are entitled to 50%.

    However, your divorce settlemnt could state that you only get 40%.

    That is why a divorce attorney is very important for you to get now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lending money to my daughter for house purchase [ 4 Answers ]

I want to support my 23 yr old daughter in buying a property with her friend. She earns a very low wage qnd does not have agod credit record. I am giving her 20,000 and I want to support her in borrowing a further 30,000. I am willing to borrow the extra on my mortgage. How do I make sure that...

The Money Pit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a legal question, I bought my house a few months ago. I noticed the carpets to be drenched one day after rain storm in master bedroom. I had a home inspection, nothing in it to say they ever had flood problems. I called a plumber, shower pan leaking in master bath, I get...

Money is there any? [ 1 Answers ]

Want to see the Federal Reserve bank president of New York admit that there is no "money"? On June 12th watch the Travel channel and see for yourself! Get your VCRs, Tivo, and all other recording devices ready!! ...

I have no money so you pay [ 13 Answers ]

Went to the store. I need stuff and so did my girlfriend. But, as soon as we parked and started walking in she tells me she forgot her checkbook. I said, OK we will just put it on my card. And it was my understanding she was going to pay me back. A couple days later she has not paid me back and has...

Money-- what do I do with it? [ 7 Answers ]

I am about to receive 25,000.00 dollars.I want to use it/invest to make it grow quickly but I have no idea where to begin.Any suggestions?:confused:

View more questions Search