Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    champ7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Leaky faucet in my soaking tub
    Where's the water valve located for a soaking tub? It's dripping.
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by champ7
    where's the water valve located for a soaking tub? it's dripping.
    Can u give a little more info?

Dec 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Thank you for your response... I have a soaking tub which is enclosed in tile and the faucet drips probably due to a bad washer. All the directions I read say to turn off the water supply valve. Since it's enclosed in tile, do I have to turn off the main valve for the whole house in order repair the washer?

Dec 1, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Most of the time there is a door that gives you access to the valves in case of a leak... if you don't have one or are not sure where it is then just shut done the main to change the washers... dont forget to open your outside hose bibb so the pressure will leave the line or you make get a face full of water when you take the faucet apart. Hope this helps
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2007, 10:29 AM
    thank you for your response... I have a soaking tub which is enclosed in tile and the faucet drips probably due to a bad washer. All the directions I read say to turn off the water supply valve. Since it's enclosed in tile, do I have to turn off the main valve for the whole house in order repair the washer?
    Yes, Turn the water off at the house shut off if you can't locate the faucet stops. Before we can help we need the brand name and type of the faucet and its age. As a rule we install faucet shutoffs on the supplies next to the head of the tub but if it's enclosed then you have no choice. Regards, tom

Dec 1, 2007, 10:32 AM
    The type is a Delta and is 10 years old - do I have to replace both delta cartridges - the leaking water is cold to the touch.

Dec 1, 2007, 10:34 AM
    The type is a Delta and is 10 years old - do I have to replace both delta cartridges - the leaking water is cold to the touch.

At 10 years old you would be better off changing both cartridges because sure enough if you only do one in a day or week the other one will start... change both the first time and be done with it... good luck by the way change the hat and springs as well.

Dec 1, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the info. Are the delta cartridges (generic) available at Home Depot and do I get the hat and springs separately or is it a "kit". Thanks...

Dec 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
    thanks for the info. are the delta cartridges (generic) available at Home Depot and do I get the hat and springs separately or is it a "kit". Thanks...

You should be able to get them at HD or Lowe's and if I am not mistaken they should come as a set... alot of times I have found that it was the hat or spring to be at fault and not the stem but you might as well change it all to be sure... however in the end it is going to depend on what you want to spend.

Dec 1, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Thanks - you've probably saved me about $250 - appreciate it!!

Dec 1, 2007, 10:51 AM
    thanks - you've probably saved me about $250 - appreciate it!!!!
    No problem.. just pay att to how ever thing is taken out and put it back in the same way.. take pics if you need too... and don't forget to bleed the line.. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to install a valve seat and spring, every time I do it still leaks but more than before..

Leaky Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

OK my faucet has been leaking so I decided to replace the washers in the handles Every diagram or picture I look at has a packing nut holding the stem down but mine doesn't it has a little pin stuck through the stem so I pulled that out but I still can't figure out how to get the stem out I'm not...

Leaky Bathtub Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Stanadyne (I've been told this is now Moen) bathtub faucet that leaks out of the spout when it is turned off. I'm not sure how to describe the faucet other than it is a single-handle that I pull away from the wall and then turn right or left to adjust the water temperature. It looks...

Leaky washer faucet [ 1 Answers ]

After thinking it was my hose leaking I came to realize the leak is coming from the knob of the faucet stem where it goes into the fauce. All advice is needed and appreciated! Little j

Leaky outside faucet [ 6 Answers ]

I just noticed that my faucet outside doesn't work right. When I turn the faucet on, I get water leaking BEHIND the faucet outlet when connected to a hose or cover the end of the faucet with my hand. When there is nothing restricting flow, the water leaves the end of the spigot just fine. When...

View more questions Search