• Win XP (Home or Pro)

10 76.92%
  • Win XP Media Center

0 0%
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2005, 01:22 PM
    Favorite version of Windows
    What's your favorite? A recent poll from Desktop Pipeline Newsletter came up with some interesting results. So I diecided to see what the people here would say.

Scott<>
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2005, 02:34 PM
    An interesting question here Scott, I must admit to finding quite hard to have just one answer.
    Of course 'Best' is a relative term depending on the set purpose.
    From the question I am assuming desktop apps, not infrastructure.
    BTW you missed one XP64 ;)
    I can't wait to see the results

Dec 7, 2005, 06:16 AM
    The poll feature limits us to 10 options. Since the article that prompted this had 14 options I had to pare the list down a bit. And yes, I'm referring to desktop OSes, not Server OSes.

Scott<>
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 7, 2005, 06:19 AM
    A spanner in the works
    I was going to be facitious,and say IBM,but as it's Scott's post,and Ben has posted,I'l remain sensible :D
    Tried all variants,except XP64,and Media Center,due to lack of cash,but I remember liking 3.1.Simple,nice layout,and just about did what I wanted.I think I have the floppies somewhere in the house.Can't wait to try Vista,and get involved with Service Pack's 3,4,and 5!!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 06:23 AM
    I love XP - that came with my newest computers, but really liked - and had no problems with - 98SE... so in reality would have to call it a tie between XP and 98SE.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2005, 06:33 AM
    I love the version of Windows that works without any bugs! Oh wait - there isn't one ;)

I'm going with XP. Pre-95 was great but the whole taskbar look is a great addition. Pre-98SE worked well and looked good but were missing a lot of things (built in USB support for example). Win Me? HA! Don't make me laugh. Never touched XP Media Center but surely it's just XP underneath. So that leaves me with XP or 2000. Well I think 2000 was a great OS but I do like some of the small things that come with XP so that's my winner.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Would we all agree that no-one would pick the crash-prone-bug-ridden ME?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2005, 07:12 AM
    Favorite
    Hi,
    Since Microsoft is famous for "bugs" in issuing new versions of anything, I vote for Win98SE.; which works just great without all the bells and whistles.
    True, takes much more maintenance, trouble shooting, but still is my favorite.
    Second favorite would be 2000.
    Best wishes; and interesting poll!
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 7, 2005, 10:06 AM
    Em eeee
    Agree with Rick,and no doubt most others that ME was a joke.A shell add-on for 98SE,which was prone to disaster.I spent £40,about $69,when it was issued as a promotion.I soon gave up,reformated my hard drive,and went back to 98 Second Edition. :eek:

Dec 8, 2005, 06:26 AM
    ME was the only version of Windows since 3.0 that I have not put on any of my machines. Its sole purpose was to generate some more cash for Micro$oft until XP was ready.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is your favorite author? [ 53 Answers ]

Who is your favorite author. What kind of books do you like to read. Mine are William W Johnstone and Louis Lamour. Western novels

Favorite Email? [ 2 Answers ]

What is your favorite web-based email service and why? My favorite is Inbox but I am currently using Gmail. I also like Juno/Netzero and Lycos. Fastmail is great too. The new MSN beta is okay.

Techno version of: [ 3 Answers ]

The roof is on fire, or fire water burn. The techno version. Anyone?

Which version of BASIC [ 4 Answers ]

I have a program developed for me, based from XL for it's repetitious formulae functions when macro's are no longer practical. In other words, where XL can no longer be a pratical option, the same work is made into a program. I am no programmer, but the layman's "blueprint" was presented to a...

View more questions Search