Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    courtneybray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Website with chat
    I want to start a chat website and I have no idea were to begin, can someone help me please!!
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 27, 2007, 07:22 PM
    How difficult this will be for you depends on your level of computer expertise. First, you'll need to create a website. There are a number of top 10 lists of web hosting companies. Here's one of these lists:

Top 10 Web Hosting, compare web hosting, best web hosting, web hosting reviews

Some of them provide software for creating a website. You can search for an available domain name and register it through the hosting company you choose. There are also places that provide free website hosting; Google "free website hosting" to find them.

You then need free or paid chat server software to install on the server and include in your site, or a free chat hosting setup to integrate into the site. Some of these hosting companies may provide chat software that can be installed on your domain. Here's a list of free chat room providers (I haven't checked these out, I know ParaChat has been around a while but can't vouch for the others):

Free Chat Room Providers - Let your users talk to each other on your website!

If you're technically up to it, you can Google "open source chat servers" for sites that provide open source (free) chat server software you can install on your hosting server if the hosting service doesn't already provide one.

Then you need to attract people to your site. That involves internet marketing and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Here's a couple of good starting points if you want to learn about SEO:

Search Engine Optimization Resources, SEO Resources

SEO - Search Engine Optimization | Read SEOmoz, Rank Better

If you're not very technically savvy, see if a techie friend can help you get going. Or, if you have sufficient financial resources, hire someone to do the work for you at one of these sites:

Guru.com – Find freelancers at the world’s largest online service marketplace.

Rent A Coder: How Software Gets Done -- The most completed software projects on the internet

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yahoo Chat [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to ask assistance from someone regarding Yahoo chat. If I want to see my chat history which is not saved, how is it possible. If anyone aware of this problem, please help. Syed

Looking for a chat [ 3 Answers ]

Hey my name is Kate, I'm from Melbourne Australia and I'm just looking for someone to share my problems. I have a few issues with my family and also memorys that keep pestering me. I hope there's someone out there that won't mind having a chat to me. Thanks xx look forward to hearing from you

Website Chat [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I'm nimesh patel Tell me how camrog.com web adition work Camfrogweb.com

Boyfriend's chat [ 2 Answers ]

Ok my boyfriend and me haven't been dating that long but we've known each other for 2 years. Our relationship has been going really good. We see each other a few times a week and talk everyday. We rarely fight and when we do we make up the same night. Now we also both have myspace accounts and talk...

View more questions Search