Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albany32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Shower drain p trap location
    This is probably not a complicated question but I just want to make sure. I am replacing the drain line from the shower to the main drain in my grandmother's house. Very old house and pipes with a drum trap that just won't get unclogged (I've tried chemicals, plunging and an auger, though not in that order) so I am taking it out and putting in pvc from shower to main. Luckily I can get to all the pipes easily but here is where my question comes. There is 8" of vertical pipe from the shower then 12" of horizontal pipe to the drum trap then it goes through a sharp angle to the main drain pipe. Do I need to put the new p-trap directly beneath the shower drain or can I go the 8" then the 12" and put then place the trap. I am working around floor joists and such and I would prefer not to do any cutting.
    Thanks for any help especially after the long intro.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Do I need to put the new p-trap directly beneath the shower drain or can I go the 8" then the 12" and put then place the trap. I am working around floor joists and such and I would prefer not to do any cutting.
    It's always best to place the trap directly under the shower drain. Having said that, to do it your way would change the "P" trap into a running trap.(see image).
    To change the trap a street ell and glue it into the "J" bend of nthe4 "P"
    Trap. This will give you a elbo on both ends and you may then connect it like a drum trap. Good luck, tom
    albany32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Showed me exactly what I had to do and what part to get, exactly what I was hoping for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy shower drain - drips into p-trap [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, my shower drain is noisy from water dripping straight down into the p-trap water. Water collects toward the middle of my drain strainer, and drops straight down into the p-trap water and is annoying. Ideally I would angle the downspout so my p-trap isn't directly under the strainer......

Shower trap and drain line elevation [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning to build a shower stall, and would like to know how much height I should have available under the floor for the trap and drain line. I'll be using 1 1/2" ABS pipe.

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

Offsetting a shower drain trap? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend is having a shower installed in a second floor bathroom, directly over a stairway landing. The floor joists are only 4" deep, such that a trap under the shower would protrude into the head space in the stairwell. The plumber gave two options: raise the shower floor four inches, such...

Shower drain location [ 2 Answers ]

My basement shower drain is about 12" from where I need it to be. Can I use a 6" sub floor and elbows or what are my options? I'd rather not break up the concrete if it can be avoided.

View more questions Search