Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2007, 05:01 PM
    What to do with a nervous dog?
    Trink's always been, at best, a cautious dog... not one to take changes in stride. And I have now got two different situations going on that I need help with.

Number one: What's the best thing to do with those minor stressful situations? For example, I had bought some stuff, and was taking it out the boxes it came in, and Trink did not want to be anywhere near the boxes. She'd walk around the back of the sofa instead of the shorter route in front of it because that kept her further away from the boxes. And she would pant a little if the boxes shifted (like when you put one on top of another one, and it slides a little). I figured it was best to just ignore the behavior and finish what I was doing, and she seemed OK. But what's the best approach in these sorts of situations, because I am sure that we are going to run across other "unusual" situations in life. Just let the dog do what it feels comfortable with?

The bigger issue: The last time I was at the dog park, a different dog got bit while we were walking up to the gate (thankfully still outside the park). We were following a guy and his greyhounds into the park. Since that time, Trink has just frozen whenever she sees a man. Doesn't matter that they are houses away, totally ignoring Trink, she just doesn't want to go anywhere close to them. This is obviously much more difficult to avoid, given that half the human race is male (although she seems to have no problems with male kids). I took her to the local meet-and-greet today, and a very nice young man and his significant other were talking to me and petting her, and she just stood there and shook from head to toe. So, should I force her to be around men, so that she realizes nothing bad happens to her? Let her see them from far away and get used to the idea, and gradually work closer? Give her treats when she's around them (which seems like it might just reinforce the anxiety, and probably wouldn't work anyway cause she's not likely to eat when she's that nervous)? She used to love men, especially older men with the Grizzly Adams look, always eager to go up and say hi to them, so this is a definite change in behavior.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
    I think I have mentioned before the importance of controlling you own emotions and keeping up a happy chatter. Do not work at consoling her as she could interpret that as rewarding her for showing fear. As for the men, work at having them give her treats.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Froggy my dog had been mistreated and was afraid of anything that was out of place when he came into my home. The home he came from had everything in place at all times.
    My home is very different as we have 3 children, a shopping bag, pair of shoes etc in the middle of the floor would scare him to death. It took me months to get him to climb up one step to get his toy or cross over an object to get one. We just ignored it as being normal and would throw his toys kind of close to the things he was afraid but always made sure that he could take different routes to get the item. This worked as he will now go anywhere, around anything to retrieve a toy. He even climbs flights of stairs now. He is more toy driven than food driven so we used toys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nervous around wemon [ 1 Answers ]

I have never really been able to talk women, every time I say something stupid or come out looking like a stocker. And it gets worse the better looking they get. How can I over come this problem and talk to women.

Kind of nervous [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend ejaculated in me yesterday and the day before is it possible I'm pregnant? And how many days should I wait to go check if I am pregnant or not?

Nervous system [ 3 Answers ]

What are receptors and effectors in the nervous system?

Being nervous! [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile but wanted to get some advice from all the good people on here. Anyway, I had a quick question. For some reason every time I talk to my ex girlfriend I get really nervous and have to struggle just to talk normal. Most of the time I can cut up and be goofy but it...

Nervous [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to tell if you come in a girl. Can you or her feel it. Just need to know to set my mind at rest so I don't freak. Thanks

View more questions Search