Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prettyboyfloyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
    I think I tell my wife too much
    I think I tell my wife too much. For example, I might say I want to start a business and then I don't do it. When it does not happen I feel she is somewhat disappointed. Or I may tell her something about a family member and then at a later time she may call me or bring up the information I shared w/ her in a negative way. Like right now I told her I am going to ask you guys this question. I am sharing too much.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Prettyboy,

If you cannot share anything with your wife, you are in trouble.

However, that said, you may want to change your question format. For example, "I want to start a business, do you mind talking about that?" The real failure sees to be that you don't follow up and let your wife know your final decisions. Also, if you don't want your wife to open decussions about something you told her. Ask her to keep it just between you and her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Yes, you can not ever share too much with a wife. Butyou need to talk and be sure that you are sharing things in a way that she knows you can just talk.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I agree with the other two go about how you say things in a more thinking about it what do you think about... way. Also try and include her maybe if she feels included then she will put more motivation in your wanting to involve her. Maybe she could get things rolling too like after you talk WITH her about your ideas and she sounds interested ask her if she can make some phone calls or whatever it takes to start. But keep involved so she doesn't feel like you STUCK her with it.
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 25, 2007, 03:31 PM
    I think that if you can't share your dreams without feeling you have disapointed her if you don't achieve this is a problem! I don't think you have to share everything though, for example your family business that she will then bring up again and throw back in your face. You now need to ask yourself, is it OK that she does this, if the answer is no then don't tell her anything else regarding your family... Although for me the problem wouldn't be I'm sharing too much it would be can I trust my wife with information! I feel its more her problem than yours!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 02:58 PM
    If you cannot share thoughts and feelings then what's the point of being married? If she throws it back in a negative way, tell her how that displeases you, and makes you feel bad. If she continues, the next step is intervention by a trusted friend, or professional. Good Luck.
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Dec 9, 2007, 01:58 PM
    There's no such thing as too much sharing in a healthy relationship. There is such a thing as holding someone's words or feelings for ransom, and that's an adversarial stance that needs to be dealt with immediately through honest, direct communication with your partner about how this feels for you.

There are tools for healthy communication that are best learned through an objective intermediary, better known as a therapist or counselor.

Something to remember as one of the cardinal rules in healthy relationship communication:

Never discuss issues with others before you've discussed them with your partner. If you're unable to do that, there's a serious communication issue brewing.

Direct communication is the best communication. If you still can't resolve the issue, that's where objective (and qualified) intervention takes place. Consulting an online forum is a good indicator that communication and trust issues are surfacing.

Neither you nor your partner should ever have to feel as though your words, thoughts, or actions will be held for ransom later on. It's just not healthy. It destroys trust, sets an adversarial tone in your interaction with one another, and worst of all, you lose your confidante and that sense of sacred space people in a loving supportive relationship share.

Be direct, be respectful, be honest, be clear in your communication about your feelings around this issue. If you still find there's a problem after you've done that, then professional objective intermediation is usually the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife won't help out. [ 13 Answers ]

My wife refuses to help out around the house. We have three children and have been married for 10 years, during this time she has constantly lost, or lied about having jobs, but when it comes time to help out with expenses she acts childish and refuses to talk about this. Me and my children are...

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

Who is my wife [ 3 Answers ]

What is the name of my wife and where she is?

Wife doesn't know what she wants [ 2 Answers ]

My wife doesn't know what she wants out of our marriage, she seems depressed and is not overly interested in changing who she is. She also doesn't want to commit to fixing whatever is missing in our relationship. I am wondering what I should do and if there is anything I can do. Or do I wait it...

View more questions Search