Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gaiasky20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Is ONE year of no visitation considered ABANDONMENT?
    My situation is a little bit complicated, I had a baby boy with an American citizen (NY), I am from Costa Rica (Central America) our son was born here(CR) on 2003, when he was a new born we went to the American embassy and requested the birth certificate abroad, my son who is 4 now has an american passport, his father of course gave him his last name.

Now his father and I never got married, we went back and forth all the time, he lived here for 4 months then he left for 2 months, then me and our son moved to NY for 6 months, then came back and so on, the most time my baby's father used to be away from our son was 4 months.

The situation now is different, its been one year since he hasn't visited my son, out of that year he has sent money only once in April this year, but that is not the question, luckily I was able to file a lawsuit for child support here in Costa Rica and he will be notifyed in Ny and forced to pay for child support soon.

My question is... by him not visiting my son for one year... could this be considered abandonment? Could the fahter-son relationship be terminated because of this?

I think is important for me to tell you that I haven't changed my phone number or residence, he hasn't attempted not even once to come to Costa Rica to see him...

I hope you can answer my question... because I feel one year is too long and I am starting to see the emotional harm this is causing to my son

THANKS
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 01:54 AM
    Does he pay child support?
    elawrence1980 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiasky20
    My situation is a little bit complicated, I had a baby boy with an American citizen (NY), I am from Costa Rica (Central America) our son was born here(CR) on 2003, when he was a new born we went to the American embassy and requested the birth certificate abroad, my son who is 4 now has an american passport, his father of course gave him his last name.

Now his father and I never got married, we went back and forth all the time, he lived here for 4 months then he left for 2 months, then me and our son moved to NY for 6 months, then came back and so on, the most time my baby's father used to be away from our son was 4 months.

The situation now is different, its been one year since he hasnt visited my son, out of that year he has sent money only once in april this year, but that is not the question, luckily I was able to file a lawsuit for child support here in Costa Rica and he will be notifyed in Ny and forced to pay for child support soon.

My question is....by him not visiting my son for one year...could this be considered abandonment?? could the fahter-son relationship be terminated because of this?

I think is important for me to tell you that I havent changed my phone number or residence, he hasnt attempted not even once to come to Costa Rica to see him.....

I hope you can answer my question...because I feel one year is too long and I am starting to see the emotional harm this is causing to my son

THANKS
    Usually it is 6 months of no contact... no child support, visitation, phone calls, letters, etc. to constitute abandonment.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Filing abandonment charges will not terminate his rights if that's what you are hoping for.

You could file abandonment, if his absence meet the requirements for abandonment where you live, but then you would have to file to terminate his parental rights.

In the states, the usually will only be done if someone is willing to adopt the child in the bio fathers place. If the bio father fights it, his rights will not be terminated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2007, 07:06 AM
    There seems to be this misconception about child abandonment. Child abandonment is a ground, not a charge. This means that you want to file to terminate rights on the grounds of abandonment. However, at least in the US, termination of rights is rarely granted, usually only in the case of someone waiting to adopt or where the parent represents a danger to the child.

My question to you is what do you think charging him with abandonment will get you? You say you won a support order that will force him to pay. That will negate any abandonment grounds. But even if you got that done, what good do you think it will do you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this considered cheating? [ 12 Answers ]

My husband and I decided to try a three some with another girl four years ago. So when the time came, everything was going well, but suddenly, it seemed like a nightmare. Him and 'her' kept going at it, even though I told him to stop. They were doing it in front of me for two hours straight....

After how long is abandonment considered? [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé has 2 boys ages 6 and 8 with a mother that is hardly ever around. The mother will go many weeks without contacting the boys. If she decides she really wants the boys to visit they have to be bribed to go to her house. Since August 15th she has not tried to even call the boys. It is now...

Can father force visitation on 14 year old he has never met [ 4 Answers ]

My son's father has never met him, or had anything to do with him other than pay support ordered 12 years ago. Went back to court twice for modification to increase, and he says he's making less money. He cancelled the court ordered health insurance, and has refused to pay any medical bills since...

Abandonment of 4 year old [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr. old son and his bio-father is on child support but he has not paid it in 10 months and he has not seen our son in 10 months is there anything that I can do to force him to give up is rights? I do not care about the child support I just want him to give up his rights. He knows where...

View more questions Search