Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OilMan6 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2005, 05:46 PM
    Which memory DDR brand name do I purchase?
    30 November 2005.
    1915 Hrs.

FM: OilMan6

SUBJECT: Which memory DDR brand name do I purchase?

I just bought a new ABIT VI7 motherboard.

I've bought every accessory for the motherboard,
    Execept for the DDR memory.

After doing an extensive froogle search,
    I have five candidates.

1. OCZ

2. Corsair

3. Samsung

4. SuperTalent

5. Infineon

These are the mininium requirements I need in the DDR memory set.

A. 184 pin type.

B. DDR400.

C. Dual Channel.

D. 1G each.

E. The motherboard has four empty slots.

Which brand name do you recommend I should purchase?

Which DDR memory set would be more bang for my buck?

Thank you.

Awaiting your response.

OilMan6.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2005, 01:47 AM
    Out of those, I'd go for the Corsair then the Samsung. Not heard of the other three. Also use the prices for an indication - just more expensive ones tend to be the better.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Ram
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...+800&x=14&y=15

Crucial.com offers much at lower prices than some on the web. I ordered RAM modules for my computer from them about 4 yrs ago. Fast service, and they also offer very good pictures of what you are ordering; with search capabilities.
    I can't really recommend any particular brand, but get one that is well-known. Also, call a computer store near you, to find out their pricing and what brand they suggest; but, they will probably be higher priced than on the web!
    Best of luck.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Feb 7, 2006, 05:35 PM
    I also heard that the crucial is the best

I hate brand names myself just look at the cas latency the lower the better I got kingston 2 years ago and its still fine go on newegg.com and look at reviews if you are woried
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 7, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Don't laugh at me cause of my cheap RAM, but... ;)

I have two 2.5Gigs of RAM in my machine. Two DIMMs of AZENRAM and two of SAMSUNG.

Never had an issue, works great.
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Feb 10, 2006, 01:31 PM
    It depends.. are you going to overclock your cpu??

Brand name doesn't matter...

If you plan to overclock:
    Check the latency times (lower the better) and the frequency.

If you plan to not overlock (as in use it normally):
    Check the latency times (lower the better).

I would go for MUSHKIN (tend to be expensive) OR GEIL (better value) RAM... They are the best!

Oh and the cheap ram sold by Corsair, Geil, OCZ, etc, etc are the same speed/latency as the other normal/value brands - so if you're looking for performance ram search for performance/gaming ram and not value ram.

But also remember to check that the your motherboard supports the ram (since brands like Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, and all the other high-end RAM brand/models are supported on less motherboards than cheap/normal ram).
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Jun 7, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Oh yeah remember RAM is incredibly important. If you have too little RAM your computer will use your Hard Drive as RAM (called a pageing file - look it up) when your usage size exceeds your RAM and it will be 100 times slower running/starting programs etc than if you had enough RAM. Some people actually use their RAM as their hard drive (although the RAM needs to be powered all the time by a power supply or else you will loose all your data) and are able to startup windows in under 5 seconds, perform searches of files a million times faster, etc) - you can check that idea out (its by gigabyte).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welder Purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a welder. What is the difference between and arc welder and gas or gasless welder. How are they rated? Some are capable of welding either 1/8" or 1/4". Is this based on amperage? 220v is better than 110v? Thanks, Glenn

PC Purchase Advice [ 27 Answers ]

Considering getting a new desktop. Most of the ads seem to stress gaming applications, which I have no interest in. What I do do is surf the web a lot, some WP & Excel and I would like to write/burn CDs & DVD's from audio & video clips. Any suggestions on: Appropriate processor: Pentium 4 or...

Where shall I buy online and what brand [ 7 Answers ]

Its very interesting I have been using an automatic Nikon D-200 camera, that I purchased online from Microglobe- retailer of photographic equipment in London UK, result is excellent, but someone advised me to check manual one, and it would return you better result than automatic, I am confused, is...

View more questions Search