Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carol anne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Hot water smells like sulphur
    We are on well water on our property; it has been tested and is safe for drinking, etc.; however, it is high in sulphur. Hot water, especially in the bathrooms has a strong sulphur smell and sometimes runs dark gray for a moment or two. The cold water is fine. We had a new annode put in the hot water heater which is only a year old. We have been told to put bleach in the well and that will take care of it; is there any other solution. Why does only the hot water smell and look so bad?
    Carol Anne
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Why does only the hot water smell and look so bad?
    The sulphur content in the cold water could explain the smell, worse when heated, but explain about the color. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Hot Water smells - not rotten eggs [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water heater was replaced last August, 2004. I was away for a month over the summer and I turned it down to vacation temp. A little while after I returned, the hot water started to smell bad. It happens at every faucet including the shower, and only when I have the hot water running. I...

Sulphur smell well water . [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As I said in my previous question, I finally got the well working. Initially the water was quite dirty and now it cleared up but still has strong sulphur smell. Could anyone tell me the reason? I am in Pinellas county, Florida. I will fill the swimming pool with the well water. Is there...

Hot water smells of iron or rust [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I wash my hands in hot water or rinse my face, or even shower, the hot water smells of rust or iron. What does this mean?

View more questions Search