Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 21, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Can you take just a few courses without getting a degree?
    I am just wondering if it is possible to take a few courses at a university without have to go though an entire degree program.
    I am married and plan on having kids soon so I don't really have time to go to university and getting a degree, but I am intrested in taking just a few courses in women studies. Is it possible to just take those courses and not all the rest?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Yes, it is possible. You pay for what you want. You take the courses you want. Maybe someday you will change your mind, then perhaps what you have taken will apply for degree credits.

Nov 21, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Well I do plan on getting a degree, but not until my kids start elementary school so that I can be home with them as they are babies.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Many people take a course here and there, as their time and finances allow. Not everyone can do the whole degree in the traditional way. Good luck to you.
    nawhem Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Nov 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    I am just wondering if it is possible to take a few courses at a university without have to go though an entire degree program.
    I am married and plan on having kids soon so I don't really have time to go to university and getting a degree, but I am intrested in taking just a few courses in women studies. Is it possible to just take those courses and not all the rest??
    There are a lot of online courses through colleges. But you would have to go through admissions like any other college. Night school would be ideal as well.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
    A student like that is sometimes called a "student at large" - maybe isn't even registered for any specific program but is taking courses here and there.

If you plan to get a degree someday, I advise you to take classes that will fit in to that program somehow... like, psych and soc courses, maybe theology and history too. Even if you never get a degree, the psych especially will help you no matter what you do and where you go in life.

Don't forget distance (computer) learning too. Many colleges offer that for certain courses, or as part of the course. On bad-weather days you can go to class in your bathrobe and slippers with a cup of tea and wearing no makeup.

Nov 30, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Thanks for all the info! Though distance education isn't really for me cause I want to experience what all college has to offer... but thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 06:38 PM
    I would like to interject here for just a moment.

It all depends on what you want to major in when your kids are older. For instance, in Nursing, Chemistry; Anatomy & Physiology; and Microbiology are required... these courses are only good for 5 years. Thus, if you were to take them now, but go back to school in 7 years, you will have to repeat these courses (that is how it is in my state, all states are different)...

So, you may want to research the major you may be considering and the requirements of the courses you plan to take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ECCE Courses [ 5 Answers ]

I'm seriously looking for information relating to courses for ECCE (Early Child Care Education). Could someone please tell me the various schools and colleges in Mumbai, India where this course is offered? Any help in this regard would be useful... ?? Thanks in advance..

Tesol courses [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Do you know about courses in Teaching English as a Second or Other Language?

What Courses. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently graduated high school, and just realized what it was that I was to do with my life. I have no idea where to go with that... I want to work in psychology... any ideas?

E.c.c.e courses [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the courses offered for E.C.C.E

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

View more questions Search