Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ROB6465 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
    401k withdrawal taxes
    I want to withdraw from my 401k to prevent foreclosure and was told I would need to pay taxes up front and a penalty. Does this mean I have to pay the taxes before I can withdraw the money or do they deduct the taxes/penalty from my acct ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 08:31 AM
    When you make the withdrawal, 20% will be withheld as a down payment on the tax owed.

You will pay state and federal income taxes on the full distribution, PLUS a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

Have you considered taking a LOAN from the 401K? That is the BETTER option, as no tax or penalty will be due as long as you pay the loan back. While you pay interest on the loan, the interest is credited to your 401K, so you are paying the interest to yourself.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2007, 09:32 AM
    First your plan as to allow in service withdrawals. Not all do. Second, the penalty is usually due when yyou file your tax return. Most plans will WITHHOLD 20% towards your final tax liability.

Bottomline is withdrawing from your 401K is a bad idea. It should only be used as an absolute last resort. Considering the amount you lose in taxes and penalties as well as the loss of income on the funds, it rarely makes sense to do an inservice withdrawal.

Nov 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB6465
    I want to withdraw from my 401k to prevent foreclosure and was told i would need to pay taxes up front and a penalty. Does this mean I have to pay the taxes before i can withdraw the money or do they deduct the taxes/penalty from my acct ?
    I had already taken a loan for my son's college so I'm still paying on it. I don't want to withdraw any amount but because of the foreclosure I'll need to and it'll get me current so I'll be able to start the new year on a positive note. I got behind on my mortgage because my mother passed away and had to pay the entire funeral so I used my mortgage savings and now I'm trying to catch up.We make enough to pay our mortgage but fell behind 3 months because of funeral.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I still don't see the justification. Talk to your lender, explain the circumstance and see if they will adjust the mortgage adding the arrears to the end of the loan. Or some other accommodation.

Nov 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
    I've tried 5-6 times to do that. Maybe it's just Wells Fargo, but they want the total payment and no less. I can't figure it out because I purchased the house in 2004 and made my payments on time until my mother passed away and now they won't work with me. My credit is not that good to get a loan from anywhere else. We've thought of everything but sometimes you need to do things you don't want to do and hope it works out. I guess the positive is that we'll be caught up with the mortgage and hopefully can resume contributing to our 401k.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 10:27 AM
    If the choice is taking the 401K distribution (and pay the taxes and punitive fee) or lose your house, the 401K distribution wins In my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes with 401k early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I took an early withdrawal from my 401k this year, and I'm kind of confused as how to file that on my taxes. Do I use a regular 1040 form? I've always just used a 1040EZ in the past. Are there any other special forms I need to fill out? Also, would tax software such as TurboTax handle all of...

401K early withdrawal and taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I have dual citizenship (US and Russian). Currently I'm living in the US (Florida resident) and planning to move to Russia permanently. I know, that if I withdraw from 401K before retrirement age I will have to pay penalty (10%?) and federal and state taxes (something like 30%?) What if I...

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

401K withdrawal taxes and penalty figures [ 11 Answers ]

I can tell I'm going to make about $32000 this year... Back in Feb. our company did away with its (Cash Balance) plan of retirement, in which we had several choices to make on it. Mine was to take it in a lump sum, which was not the smartest, but what's done is done. The amount was $12,295 and the...

401K withdrawal and taxes ? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a 37 year old male... single (not married)... factory worker for about 19 years... took out a 26K 401K hardship withdrawal last year. Out of the 26K, they sent me a check for 22K and some change... This means they kept about 4K. If my salary was 33K, not counting the withdrawal money, what am I...

View more questions Search