Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serenitynow422 Posts: 49, Reputation: 7

Nov 20, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Tell me who's racist?
    This is something I have issues with distinguishing. I do understand that people have to respect eachothers races but the main issue I have is btwn whites and blacks. Why are blacks seemingly allowed to use the N word where if a white used it LAWSUIT?? I have nothing against whites or blacks its just that line is blurred to me...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 07:48 PM
    It is called a double standard.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 07:53 PM
    I also don't understand the use of the N word by black people, I did not make the N word a bad word. I am an older person and lived with black people all of my younger years, and no one seemed to mind the N word, neither blacks or whites but all of a sudden it got to be a very bad word and as of yet I still do not know why.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Words do have power. That is a name the white slave owners gave them and now they seem to have taken for their own. If it is such a horrible thing to say, why don't they bury it like they expect white people should. I guess it's a too important part of their victim mentality. If you are a victim then you are owed something. Like 40 acres and a mule.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Why are we playing "Take away words"?

If one word gets taken off the list of words, another word will take it's place, and then perceived to be derogatory. Then that word will be stricken, and subsequently replaced and so on...
    I can think of words that are uniformly worse: How about: deceased, cancer, missing, fired, unemployed...

Ban all words and we'll go back to grunting. And that may be deemed as uncivilized as well... Hmmm...
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Both
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Ban all words and we'll go back to grunting. And that may be deemed as uncivilized as well... Hmmm...
    I think we should ban the word "Grunting." It just sounds nasty.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Search Amazon.com for Randall Kennedy.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I also don't understand the use of the N word by black people, I did not make the N word a bad word. I am an older person and lived with black people all of my younger years, and no one seemed to mind the N word, neither blacks or whites but all of a sudden it got to be a very bad word and as of yet I still do not know why.
    I don't know for sure ither but I'll bet Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Nov 20, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    I don't know for sure ither but I'll bet Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson had something to do with it. :rolleyes:
    Ha, good one. But is it not frustrating when the boundary of words and who can say them is blurred. What about free speech but then what about a persons rights? UGH
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 09:10 PM
    That's why you teach your children respect for their fellow human beans.

Nov 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
    But they don't... you see so much violence in teenagers today. Why are they so angry... I was watching 28 weeks later and the dude said that the monkeys were infected with rage... but there's symbolism there is rage actually a disease? If so are we all infected and just not treating it because we don't except it as a disease...
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.
    anon699 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 01:29 AM
    Reasons behind racism
    First of all, I am posting this as a serious discussion/question, not something for people to argue about. Post your views, DISCUSS. But don't argue.

What do people gain by being racist and prejudiced against race, religion and culture? I just really don't get it and think that as advanced as we're "supposed" to be, it's really sad that we can't get past something this trivial. Thoughts?
    red_cartoon Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Nov 21, 2007, 02:03 AM
    I think racism comes from a sense of competition. Like when people used to live in small tribes and had to fight all the time for the scarce resources. Then complex things like politics, greed, personal benefits etc. got involved into this competition and made it messy.

Sorry for being unable to say it in an elegant way, I hope readers would understand what I've said in simple goof language.

Nov 21, 2007, 02:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by red_cartoon
    I think racism comes from a sense of competition. like when people used to live in small tribes and had to fight all the time for the scarce resources. then complex things like politics, greed, personal benefits etc. got involved into this competition and made it messy.

sorry for being unable to say it in an elegant way, I hope readers would understand what I've said in simple goof language.

I understand that.
    red_cartoon Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Nov 21, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anon699
    i understand that.
    Great :)
    I think the racism we see on earth today has a lot to do with false pride as well.

Nov 21, 2007, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by red_cartoon
    Great :)
    I think the racism we see on earth today has a lot to do with false pride as well.

That is so true. I never thought of it that way. But it's such a waste of time. It just baffles me
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2007, 03:09 AM
    >Two Threads Merged<
    As they deal with the same subject
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 03:42 AM
    I think it's OK for black people to tease each other with the N word but why they don't like the white people to use the word, is because it was used to black people when they where enslaved by the white people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Best Friend is Racist [ 9 Answers ]

My best friend and I have been really close now for the past 2 years, and we absoutely love hanging out together, no matter what we do! She's hilarious, and always makes me feel better when I'm angry or sad, but there's one HUGE problem that I really hate about her personality... she's extremely...

Guilialni Poised to Launch Racist Campaign [ 5 Answers ]

"Strategists for Rudy Giuliani are quietly preparing a significantly *race-based campaign* strategy to strengthen support among socially conservative white voters, in the South as well as in the North. The former Mayor carries the burden of three marriages and a Brooklyn accent, but he has more...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search