Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    payment Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Wage garnishments
    If I am delinquent on a loan payment, can they legally garnish my wages through the court or is this a standard tactic used by companies to obtain payment?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Yes they can...

I'm sure they have contacted you about it many times, when companies get to the wit's end, they take extreme measures. This being one. If it's a bank loan then yes they can. It sucks. But ignoring these things makes them worse. If you were not able to pay it you should have contacted them and told them so. You could have worked out a smaller payment system. At least they would have known the situation and possibly been more lienent with you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Before they can garnish your wages, they have to sue you and obtain a judgement against you. Also the type of loan has a bearing on this. Once they get a judgement, then a writ of garnishment is one of the tools they can use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgments for wage garnishments [ 7 Answers ]

Can my pay check be garnished for a credit card debt? Judgement has been granted against me. Is there anything that can be done to reverse the judgment? I have already called the lawyer that represents the creditor and they are unwilling to work with me, as they have been in the past.

Garnishments [ 1 Answers ]

What percentage of my salary can my employer garnish for a credit card debt?

Account/wage garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

I recently turned 18. Upon turning 18 I'd like to set up a bank account, but I'm not sure if an old realator can garnish money that my mom owes from about 4 years ago, please help, because I don't want to set up an account that someone can garnish from.

Wage Garnishments [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to stop garnishment of my wages. I purchased some furniture and fell behind in the payments. I have tried to work something out with the debtor but they refuse to make any kind of arrangements. On the bottom of my pre-judgement statement, it states that the plaintiff may file for a...

View more questions Search