Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member
     
    #1

    Nov 28, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Need a recommendation for a good Print Screen App
    It must include auto scroll for web pages.

    I've used Print Screen Deluxe for years, but there's a bug in their most recent version and auto scroll is not working... and their support is horrid.

    Thanks!
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #2

    Nov 28, 2005, 04:19 PM
    What exactly are you trying to do? A print screen utility just restores the functionality of the Print Screen key to send what's on the screen to the printer.
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member
     
    #3

    Nov 28, 2005, 04:32 PM
    Thanks, Scott.

    90% of my print screen needs are for only what I can see, but for the other 10% I need to capture (usually to save as a pic file) the entire page... even if it's one that I need to scroll to view.

    Example: www.ohiobusinesslist.com/index1.html

    How can I get a "screenshot" of the entire page, not just what I see in my browser without scrolling.

    Does that describe it better?
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 18,505, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan
     
    #4

    Nov 28, 2005, 05:42 PM
    Have you thought about saving the web page as an archive, mht, file ?
    This gives a one page save rather than a page plus a folder of the images.
    Maybe worth a try.

    It's simple enough to do.
    Just File > save as > change the save as type drop down to web archive ,single file (.mht) and job done.

    The saved file can then be opened offline at anytime in your browser.

    This is also an excellent way of e-mailing web pages too.
    NeedKarma's Avatar
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member
     
    #5

    Nov 28, 2005, 06:03 PM
    I use Xnview for screengrabs. The part I like is that I have it set up to grab the screenshot and automatically bring it into the Xnview image editor.
    http://www.xnview.com/

    It's not a powerful program but free and effective.

    Edit: it won't do that entire web page thing. :(
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member
     
    #6

    Nov 29, 2005, 04:18 AM
    Hey, I'd never tried the MHT thing. I have LOTS of uses for that.

    One use I have of a pic file is here.

    Having used Print Screen Deluxe for so long (with the auto scroll feature to capture an entire web-page) I guess I'm spoiled.

    So no easy way to turn a whole webpage (that's longer than the screen) into an image file?
    LTheobald's Avatar
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member
     
    #7

    Nov 29, 2005, 04:38 AM
    This maybe: https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...fo.php?id=1146 . Not tried it so who knows how good it is.

    For a commercial progam, I've used SnagIt and it was a great tool. Does the whole scrolling web page bit. Trouble is - It's $40.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #8

    Nov 29, 2005, 05:27 AM
    I think you are looking at two different things, therefore two different utilities. To capture all or a portion of the current screen, there are several options. I've used Snag-It and its top notch. Snag-It's main advantage is the variety of options on how to save the captured screen. However, there are a number of freeware choices. Try tucows.com or download.com and search on screen capture.

    For saving WEB pages, you can just use the File>Save As option of your browser. You can save as an HTML file. Another option is to "print" to PDF. There are free PDF writers (I use CutePDF).
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member
     
    #9

    Nov 29, 2005, 05:45 AM
    So the two different issues you are speaking of are
    1. Capturing the viewable page
    And
    2. Capturing the entire page
    ?

    Maybe it's just back to me being spoiled over being able to capture the entire page as a pic file in the past...

    I'll check out Snag-It for the heck of it. I don't mind paying for the software if it will do what I want.
    jocase's Avatar
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #10

    Dec 2, 2005, 01:00 AM
    Screen Shot Program
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Thanks, Scott.

    90% of my print screen needs are for only what I can see, but for the other 10% I need to capture (usually to save as a pic file) the entire page...even if it's one that I need to scroll to view.

    Example: www.ohiobusinesslist.com/index1.html

    How can I get a "screenshot" of the entire page, not just what I see in my browser without scrolling.

    Does that describe it better?
    I have used AAA at http://www.share2.com/capture/ It will do what you want. Download the free trial version. It has always worked well for me.
    John
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member
     
    #11

    Dec 2, 2005, 03:57 AM
    I don't find a scroll option with AAA and have tried various Capture optons. How do you get it to capture the whole web page... even beyond what you have to scroll to see?
    jocase's Avatar
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #12

    Dec 2, 2005, 08:38 AM
    AAA Screen Capture
    Sorry, I don't think AAA will allow you capture anything you cannot see.

    Maybe you need a screen grabber? Google those two words.

    I write tech derictions, so I only need screen shot images.

    Sorry I couldn't help.

    John
    LTheobald's Avatar
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member
     
    #13

    Mar 21, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Rickj, I actually found a freeware program that does what you want. I needed one too :D

    Not the best bit of kit in the world but it does the job.

    http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member
     
    #14

    Mar 21, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Thanks, Lee.

    I actually decided on Any Screen Capture. It was $25 but does it all, including the hard to find vertical scroll to capture pages that extend beyond monitor view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Software recommendation. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm tired of trying to use Excel as a database. Navigating to what I want amongst the rows, columns and tabs is becoming a nightmare. My needs are simple: to organize info and sometimes convert it for use on a website. Blew my mind to see the prices! MyDatabase at about $30 seems to cover...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Book Recommendation [ 10 Answers ]

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's State of Fear. I think its one of the most important books I have ever read in my lifetime (and I'm an avid reader). I would strongly urge everyone to run out and get a copy (its in paperback or at your local library) and read it immediately.

Need a Simple Guestbook Recommendation [ 3 Answers ]

I've been burned before: A site wiped out from my stupidity in not updating the script. I recently installed VIPER Guestbook: I like it's simplicity and features, but now see that it will no longer be updated... so don't want to keep it. Can anyone recommend a simple, secure Guestbook...

Print Screen Key [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the "Print Screen" key is for and how it works? Or maybe direct me to a site where I can get the information. Thanks. DAVE.


View more questions Search