Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jhoang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Neutral Wire is Hot
    I have problem with on one of the electrical outlet in my house. The problem is this, I measured from (Neutral to Ground 120V, Hot to Ground 0V and Hot to Neutral 120V). The power on this outlet will shutdown If I plug a coffee maker, radio Ect... into this outlet. Can you please advice what might cause this problem.

Thanks,
    Joe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 10:47 AM
    Somewhere the white and black or other color are reversed. With the power off, pull the outlet out. The black wire should be connected to a brass screw on the side with the longer slot. If it is connected to the nickel plated one, you have found the problem. Reverse them, and you have fixed the problem. If it is a switched outlet, you could have 2 white wires. Reversing them is still the fix.

If that outlet is OK, work your way back through anything else on the circuit looking for reversed wires. Black always goes on the brass and white on the plated. Inside the breaker box is not the best place to poke around. Leave it until last. Even with the main breaker shut off, the incoming wires are still hot and have unlimited power to zap you. A black wire on the buss with all the whites and grounds should be easy to spot as well as a white connected to a breaker. Again, reverse them to fix the problem.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 04:08 PM
    Along with Labmans good explanation of reversed wiring, I get that the power drops off exaclty when you run an appliance in.

If I am correct in understanding this,what I think you may have is a broken neutral of a three wire feeder. Find the one breaker that does shutoff the power to the problem outlet.

Best way to deterimine if I am right is to have the panel opened and trace that wire to which cable it goes out in. This will lead you to the cable exiting the panel, and if a three wire cable, black, red white, and maybe a bare or green wire, the problem is definitely a broken neutral.

This repair I believe is beyond a do it yourselfer, one because of the difficulty in finding this problem, and two, opening the panel. Unless you are good with tools, have huge patience, and familiar with working with live wires, you may consider having a pro come in.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 05:26 PM
    Great post. I failed to think through the power dropping off point. Sounds like one more good reason to skip shared neutrals.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2005, 06:57 PM
    With a faulty neutral one should still be able to meter voltage from hot to ground. I am trying to understand what you mean by the power dropping off. If you are comfortable with basic electrical work and being in a live panel (or are OK with killing the main for a bit) then the purchase of a toner could prove invaluable for locating the feeder in the panel and isolating the problem.
    umermariner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Hello,
    I have a similar problem :(. I have some things working on one circuit, and some don't. The ones that don't work, have live neutral :(. I have disconnected almost all the junction boxes, and taken out almost all the fixtures/ appliances on that circuit, however; not really able to pin point it.
    I am confused with few things.
    1. If the neutral is short with hot wire, how come the circuit does not trip?
    2. If the neutral is hot, how come some of the fixtures on the circuit still working?
    3. What would be the best approach to solve this problem? If the problem was hotness missing, I would have just followed it back to where I had it. I have tried the same approach for this issue as well, but didn't really work :(.
    I have everything on this circuit open right now (off course the circuit is off)... I need to figure it out asap :)... any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Jun 13, 2010, 03:31 PM

I am a new house owner guys... and pretty handy... however, this trouble shooting is killing me... Most of the time this Sunday, I have been in the basement working on it... I am still lucky, as I have all (I think all) junction boxes in the basement (easily accessible).
    Thanks.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 05:44 PM

umermariner, you 've ask your question on a thread that is 5 years old, you really need to start your own thread and there'll be somenone along to give you an answer. Good luck
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2010, 05:48 PM

Problem is likely at last good box or first bad box. Good luck.
    It is a bad neutral connection.

Jun 13, 2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks guys.
    I did start a new thread :)... hope it works out :(.
    Take care.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 07:28 PM
    Seems like someone always comes along no matter how old the thread is... sigh. Is that a bad thing?
    chuckwallick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2013, 12:56 AM
    Well I was asking for help last month after my wall started smoking.I too found I had power on my white wires.After retracing my actions over 48 hours earlier,I had hung a mirror in the master bath close to the fuse box.That damn screw went through some wires and did not give me any clue for 2 days.First my bathroom lights failed.Then the hall way and laundry room were dead.I started pulling plates and outlets and found power on white and black.Then I found a smoking hot outlet .It was really glowing.Could have burned down the house.So even if you drove that nail two weeks ago don't count it out.. Good luck, be safe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search