Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherryd24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Am I addicted to weed
    Hi my name is sherry, My husband tells me I have a problem with weed. This is my first time asking a question on this site. Let me tell you a little about myself. I work 40+ hrs a week I pay every bill in my home I don't smoke everyday probably 3 times a week.I have a kid that's 4 yrs old he wears only the best. Everywhere we go I get compliments on how well behaved he is so I guess my question is am I an addict and need to seek treatment or not. I added a bit more to this to give you better understanding. My husband used to smoke weed for him it lead to him drinking,snorting coke and doing heroin before I met him. He lost everything he used to make good money as a truck driver but spent all of it on drugs.I spend in a month $30 if that. No my life isn't perfect or anything I think I smoke when I'm stressing. I don't smoke around my son or my husband. My whole familly is either a weed smoker or an alcoholic. So everywhere I go I have to deal with it.I started smoking when I was 14 quit when I turned 17 and picked it back up when I started going to college about 2yrs ago. In school I smoked about 2 blunts in a day everyday. Now 1 blunt last me for a week. Based on that what do you think. Thank you
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 05:33 PM
    No but you may have an emotional dependence on it. It's not physically addictive, but it's bad for you, and you should stop.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
    I have a feeling it is possible. My reasoning is that you seem to try to paint your life all rosy. You work hard, pay your bills, kid wears the best of clothes, etc... these are common statements made by addicts who are in denial. Addicts in denial make their lives seem perfect, they paint a picture that there is nothing wrong in their world, when in actuality they are screaming inside and self-medicating to hide from something they don't want to admit.

I can't tell you for sure if you need to seek treatment, I don't know you other than what you have posted. Your husband knows you better than we do, and if he thinks you have a problem, he may just be right.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
    You use it three times a week, so just stop, if you can't stop you are addicted and need help.

Some very serious adicts work in high paying jobs, have large homes and boats and airplanes, so appearing great to the world does not mean we don't have personal issues
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 05:47 PM
    All the studies I've read say that marijuana is not physically addictive, however, you can become emotionally dependent upon that high, so it's not good to smoke marijuana.
    Sissy108 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
    I think that if you work fulltime and take care of your responsibilities then you are fine. It sounds like your kid is well taken care of and as long as you don't have it around your child then I don't think you have a problem.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 05:45 AM
    If your husband sees this as something he thinks you might need to change,Can you?Are you willing to?

It sounds familiar to me,when I expressed the same thing to my (now ex) wife, hindsight being 20/20 has brought this to light, I wanted to grow past the need for recreational drug use, she didn't.

My question is, why do you need it?Does it supply something you can't live without?

Only you can answer these questions.

I hope you make a good decision, and soon.

Good luck,

Ken
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Hello sherry:

I don't know if you're an addict or not. Personally, I don't think there's such a thing as a pot "addict" - just like I don't think there's such a thing as a sex "addict". So, I'm not even going to go there.

If YOU think it interferes with your life, then stop. If YOU think it's an adjunct to your life, then to hell with what other people say.

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:02 AM
    I agree with everything everybody has said. I have known many addicts that point to everything else to prove how much better they are because they are in denial. And as Fr_Chuck said many of the highest level CEO's and so forth have the best paying jobs and appear to have the life many people wish they had but have an addiction. They can just better afford it than the guy in the hood that makes minimum wage.
    The only way you can really tell if you are addicted is stop. If you can't then you are addicted. Then you might want to just keep cutting back as much as possible.
    You could try adding up how much you spend on it in a year and then think of things you could have done with the money as an incentive to quit.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Possessing and using pot is illegal in most states. Your use could cause you to lose your children. If that isn't incentive enough for you to stop, then you are addicted and need help.

Would you tolerate your husband getting drunk 3 times a week?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 03:13 PM
    As stated above pot is not addictive. But as a former pothead, I think that the HIGH IS ADDICTIVE. It's a relaxing feeling. And I agree with some other people on here that it could be something you do to excape life or even a situation. I used to, and the fact that I was getting to lazy to go to school and do other things made me realize weed was bad.
    wisethinking Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Nov 22, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I agree. You have a dependence. Seek a healthy outlet instead.
    wisethinking Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Nov 22, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Comment on Emland's post
    I agree. How would you feel if you lost your child? What is more important, pot or your precious child?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:25 PM
    I think if your life is so good, you pay bills, take care of your kids needs, then the only reason you have to smoke is to,. escape. Your husband has a problem your not willing to face. You need to seriously deal with this, even if it's just one blunt... think what you could achieve without it!! You can think clearly, remember more and enjoy your kid, plus stay awake a lot longer!! Go to al-alon or some similar group!
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Dec 1, 2007, 12:54 PM
    I know it's a very popular assumption that marijuana contains no physiologically addictive components; this is not the case. The NIH cites this article and, while not comprehensive, suffice it to say it can be physiologically addictive.

I agree with previous responses that your stance is defensive, which is fully understandable when attempting to justify or minimize the impact of its use. I can guarantee you you, though, that damage has already been done on a cellular level, especially with all the studies on adolescent marijuana use, and that the most humane course of action for your sake, and for your family's sake, is to stop smoking marijuana.

If you do decide to quit altogether and find it's more difficult than you thought it would be, there's plenty of support available to help you achieve that goal.

I wish you the best.
    tryme45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
    I don't think you are an addict. If you only smoke it when you are stressed then it's not that big a deal. It does calm your nerves and help to settle you when your angry or sad. Personally I would prefer to smoke it than to go to a doctor and tell them "I get stressed out and need something to help me" they would give you anti-depressants or some (escuse me) that has 50 side effects(nuasea, vomiting, nose bleeds,etc) and ruins your liver. People don't get lung cancer from smoking pot, they get it from cigarettes and cigars. The only thing harmful about pot is if you smoke it in a paper, the paper is harsh on you not the pot. And if you whole family is pot smokers and alcoholics, I would rather you be a pot smoker for you and your child's sake no matter what people say, alcohol should totally be illegal. It kills people body mind and soul, unlike pot!! Don't feel bad it's nice to sit down and smoke a "cigarette" when you are having one of those ty days. What's worse is if you depressed or angry or sad for what ever reason you could go to a bar get drunk make some stupid choices, maybe driving drunk and ending up in serious . It's a lot easier to roll one smoke it and eat some munchies and laugh off your bad day.
    carly_may_13 Posts: 53, Reputation: 7

Jul 14, 2009, 03:08 AM

Stop for 2 months, if it's no problem then you know you're not addicted. If your worried about what your husband thinks, why don't you ask him why he thinks you have a problem with it.
    QandAkid92 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 09:37 AM

I smoke everyday and I'm not addicted, it's difficult to really become dependent on marijuana considering it's just a plant but no smoking three times a week is no problem. If weed was bad for you why would it ever be proscribed for medical help. Weed actually gives you cancer fighting cells and I believe only benefits unless you let it get in the way of things you need to do. Alcohol is more dangerous and much easier to become dependent on. Tell your husband to smoke a blunt with you and chill out.
    tiki49 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2009, 04:58 AM

Pot is BAD--my husband has a very good job and one of his accounts wanted everyone in the office to have a drug screen--of course he tested postitive for marijuana!--he goes and visits his loser brother who has no job and lives in a basement apartment smoking weed. My husband had to take 4 weeks off for outpatient drug rehab--how scary in these economic times. My teenage son just applied to out target for a parttime job--he got drug tested!-----noone wants a stoned out person working at their places now days and I don't blame them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Boyfriend addicted to weed ! [ 16 Answers ]

My fiancce of 5 years is addicted to weed when we first met he was addicted to cocaine but he stopped that but replaced it with weed he has smoked for 4 and a half years we have 1 beautiful son and have been trying for another baby for 2 years , we have both been tested at the doctors and I am fine...

How does someone get addicted? [ 8 Answers ]

How does someone get addicted to such things as anorexia, bulemia, cutting themselves and things like that, when you aren't putting anything into your body as if you were doing drugs or drinking alcohol? :confused:

Am I addicted? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm 20 years old and currently at university... but my friends keep telling me that I drink too much.. even for a student? I go out 6 days of the week for the past month or so and I do admit I drink till I'm past drunk and spend all my money... including my rent money on alcohol. I...

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search