It sends the ball falling,
    Falling into a pool of darkness
    To where I must
    Reflect on my actions
    And dwell in self pity.

This isn't a pool
    Where a little kid would want to swim.
    No, this is a pool of
    Dead dreams, lost hope, and lovelessness.

The pool is very cold
    And as I emerge
    From the depths of despair
    The ripples seem to grow larger
    Into a wave so big
    That it swallows me
    To never return.

And as my heart tries to beat its last beat
    All I can think about
    Is your beauty slowly turning,
    And walking away.

So like I said I want your opinion, or criticism, and really I need a title. So please give a little from each
    Natt Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Hmm that was a good poem really =]
    but I haven't got a title or idea of one
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Dec 1, 2007, 05:56 PM
    It sounds like a deep poem so perhaps what I would do is maybe change a couple of words here and then for example:

The string that holds my pendulum
    Of a heart together
    Was cut... I would replace cut with severed.

This isn't a pool
    Where a little kid would want to swim... I would say Child instead of little kid.

Into a wave so big... Tidal wave, sometime its good to accentuate things!!
    That it swallows me
    To never return

And as my heart tries to beat its last beat... and here maybe replace tries with struggles.

When I write I always edit my poems and change words for maximum impact.Its a good poem, I love poems that tell a little story and have order as opposed to abstract stuff, just my preference though (",)

A title: maybe
    "The uncertainty of 'us'" or
    "My ticking heart" or
    "Save me" or
    "Cause and effect" (my fav)

I know you posted this a little while back but hope my answer helped!!!
    Kiki (",)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
    In poetry you want to give a clear picture and avoid ambiguity and concepts. You don't want to write a poem about "love" or "pain" because those are concepts; you want to write about a specific EVENT or PERSON that causes you love or pain. When you get specific, you get closer to concrete. So I read your poem, and I ask, "What major action?"

Opinion, I prefer metaphors to similes, so your first line would read "My heart is a pendulum", instead of "is like". Using metaphors helps cut out words, and poetry is (usually) about getting the point across in as few words as possible.

You've used some pretty good imagery in your poem, but it's bordering on cliché. The dark pool, wave that swallows, depths of despair; those aren't new images - try to think of something unique, it will make your poem stand out.

I think you've made a great start, and obviously this is an event which has inspired you to write, so there's more in there for you to pull out, I'm sure.

To give an example of the first stanza changed a bit, check this out:

My heart is a pendulum
    Back... and forth
    Love... and loveless

What that does is give a solid image (heart is a pendulum), cuts out extra words, but still gets to the point. It also helps to set a rhythm you might want to stick to - the ticking of a clock. Back... and forth; Love... and loveless mimic one another, you could easily repeat this in other stanzas.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Similes and metaphors function differently in poetry; it's not simply a matter of choosing one over the other to save words. There is an immediacy and raw primitive power in the metaphor that is diluted by the simile's "like" or "as": it brings the symbol closer to what it refers to. But sometime you need the distance the simile provides you. We see this raw power of the metaphor in La Luna Asoma by Spanish poet Federico Garcia Lorca:

When the moon rises,
    The bells hang silent,
    And impenetrable footpaths
    Appear.

If he'd written "and it's as though impenetrable footpaths appear" it loses much of its power, doesn't it?

Another example: W.S. Merwin writes in When You Go Away about the grief arising from what has gone unsaid to someone who has departed:

And that my words are the garment of what I shall never be
    Like the tucked sleeve of a one-armed boy

Note that he uses metaphor in the first line, simile in the second but that are embedded in a rather complex metaphor: even the simile is part of the metaphor. A metaphor and a simile within a metaphor. There's more going on here than cutting out words to preserve the rhythm of the lines: it's a conscious choice on Merwin's part, and he knows exactly what he's doing. The simile inflates the grief of the protagonist's futile words into overwhelming tragedy, I think, and putting a metaphor in its place doesn't work because it performs an important function in these lines. Try this and ask yourself why it doesn't work from the perspective of what's being communicated in these lines:

And my words are the garment of what I shall never be:
    The tucked sleeve of a one-armed boy

Not quite the same meaning, is it?

So choose the elements of your poetry carefully; if someone asked you of every word choice, every metaphor or simile choice, "why did you do it that way?" could you provide an answer that would convincing to them? To yourself?

A few other suggestions: many budding poets write a lot of what's call confessional poetry. This is hard to pull off well, since (frankly) no one really cares about someone's strong feelings - everyone has strong feelings, they're a dime a dozen. If you're truly serious about poetry, I'd suggest reading, reading, reading; find poets you admire and try to write something in their style. That will be a great education in and of itself. Read poets on writing poetry. Be your own severest critic: put things aside for six months after you've written them, then come back and either revise them or throw them away. Ezra Pound read T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland, took out his blue pencil, and reduced it from over 1000 lines to its final length of 434. Be a generous creator but a ruthless critic.

Here's some great advice in poetic form that W.S. Merwin received from his mentor, John Berryman:

www.tmcamp.com

Vasily
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Great points, vin. Metaphors and analogies can both be effective in poetry when used one is selected over the other for emphasis. I just find in most of the stuff I write metaphors work best. :)

Another suggestion if you (OP) want to really improve your poetry is to experiment with forms such as a sonnet, a villanelle, cinquain, etc. It's a great way to really think about the words you put on paper since you must stick to the form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poem. [ 2 Answers ]

How could I not see, what was ahead of me, the future I dreamed of the life I imagined, It all came to an end the day I realized it was just a dream A dream that I dream everyday and night for all my life, the day my faith left and my hope fade, was when I realize it was nothing more than a...

Love Poem [ 2 Answers ]

Love Poem Susie Lee Done Fell In Love; She Planned To Marry Joe. She Was So Happy 'bout It All She Told Her Pappy So. Pappy Told Her, Susie Gal, You'll Have To Find Another. I'd Just As Soon Yo' Ma Don't Know, But Joe Is Yo' Half Brother.

A Poem [ 3 Answers ]

A Different Christmas Poem The embers glowed softly, and in their dim Light, I gazed round the room and I cherished the Sight. My wife was asleep, her head on my chest, My daughter beside me, angelic in rest. Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white, ...

Poem [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone explain this poem? A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of book

View more questions Search