Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrookStimac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Husband to adopt stepson,bio dad gone 11 years now
    What are the abandonment laws and how does my husband adopt my son, the bio father has never been in his life, no contact whatsoever for the 11 years since he was born.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
    This business about abandonment is not the real issue. There is a sticky on the top of this forum that explains what it necessary to allow your husband to adopt. There are also umpteen threads that discuss the same issue.

Bottomline is you need an attorney to file the adoption petition. That attorney will advise you of what you need to do to terminate the bio father's rights to clear the way for the adoption.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Yes, basically there will or has to be an attempt to find the bio father, and get his permission, if not possible there is legal posting that has to be done. This will require an attorney.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Filing abandonment alone does not allow your husband to adopt. Along with him not having contact, if he has not paid support as well... then you have a chance to get his rights terminated.

You will need to contact an attorney first and start there. You will need to petition that the bio fathers rights be terminated due to abandonment and to allow your husband to adopt. But if the bio father shows up and show any interest or fights his rights being terminated, you will be in for an uphill battle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can NON bio dad sue bio mom for C/S ? [ 10 Answers ]

I am divorced from ex . Who has been a father figure to my oldest daughter for 15 1/2 years . She is 16 (17 in June of 07) . If she decides to move in with him . Can he sue me for C/S ? He is NOT the bio dad . And he does NOT have legal custody of her at this time . Can he sue me for C/S , or will...

My stepdaughter dad, isn't really her dad, and I want to adopt her [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are trying to get some insight on how to go about telling her exhusband that I want to adopt her /his daughter, 8yrs old with him knowing that he wasn't really the father in the first place. He agreed to raise her knowing that he wasn't her real dad, ( bio is completely out of the...

I would like to adopt my stepson [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Jean Gross. I have been married to my husband (Chris Gross for 6 years this Feb. The first part of Feb, this year we gained temporary custody of my stepson, Kyle who is 11 years old. On March 14th, this year, Kyles real mom died do to drug addiction. I now with the blessings of...

Bio dad is out of the pic, can stepdad adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

HI. I got divorced a few years ago. My ex and I had two children together. After the divorce he saw the kids twice. Now he has not seen them in 17 months, or had any communication with them in 12 months! We do not have his address, phone number, or any info about him anymore. He has not paid child...

View more questions Search