Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shae06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Father abandonment
    My daughter is 17 months old now and her father and I have not been together since she was 2 months, he has done very little to help me since then. And I am currently engaged to the father of my second child which I am carrying now, which he wants to adopt my daughter and I know that my daughters father will not approve of. Can I take my daughters father to court and file abandonment since he does not help me finacially?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 09:01 AM
    To file abandonment charges the bio father has to have no contact and no child support for "x" amount of time (varies state to state). If he is AT ALL involved in the child's life, you cannot file abandonment charges.

Even so, abandonment charges do not terminate his rights if that's what you were hoping for. If he was found guilty of abandonment, then you could petition to have his rights terminated. And still, if he fights it... it won't happen.

Most states require that you be married (not just engaged) and require you be married for "x" amount of time before they would even allow adoption.

Bottomline, the child's father would have to willingly relinquish his parents rights to allow your husband (when you get married) to adopt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Forget abandonment. If you read some of the many, many threads on this subject here and in the Family Law forum you probably wouldn't have had to post this question.

The bottomline here is that relinquishing parental rights is a difficult business. It is rarely granted and when it is, its almost always to pave the way for the adoption of the child by a stepparent or adoptive parents.

So the fact that your fiancée wants to adopt bodes well for you. You need to file a petition for adoption with your local Family court. I would wait until after you are married. Then get an attorney to do it for you. That attorney will also take care of the paperwork for the father to relinquish his rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 01:42 PM
    First 2 months is far from abandoment, esp if there has been some contact. Do you have a custody order in place, is there court ordered child support in place. If the bio father is not going to sign it over it won't happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the state of Illinois how long does a father have till it is consider abandonment? [ 5 Answers ]

My name is Angela I have 3 kids. My oldest daughters father has not had anything todo with her since Mothers day 2006. He has not called he or even paid child support for her in over a year. My husband Russell is wanting to adopte her and that is what she wants. I have explained to her what...

Father abandonment laws [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter Brooklynn is now 10 months old. Her biological father has not been in her life but in and out the first month. I have legally changed her last name to mine and now am in the process of taking away his biological father rights. So my question is what is the legal amount of time in the...

Sue father for abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My father walked out on me when I was 6 months old and never looked back. My childhood suffered greatly because of this. Poverty and abuse while he lived wealthy and the good life. I still suffer mentlly wondering why he would do that to his 1st born while he has had other children and took very...

Father abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm from Texas recently my ex left me after eight years for a younger girl and he lives with her now.I have 2 boys with him and a little girl on the way,he refuses to pay child support and every where I go and people I ask how do I get child support from this guy I never get a good clear...

Bio-Father wants rights after abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

I had a daughter with this guy that never wanted her. He even said that she was not his. I told him to take the paternity test and he did'nt want to. So now 3 years later, he has another family and want's to take the paternity test, and wants visitation rights. I already went on with my life, met...

View more questions Search