Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 08:40 PM
    How abouit snopes, they are about as trusted as you can get, and have no religious agenda at all

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass

Plus you can merely Google the movie and find 100's of related pages,
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Now in general they are no better or worst than 100 other TV shows or movies that advocate a anti religioius life style.
    Now personally I think we would be better off without most of them, but again, as long as parents teach their children proeprly to tell the difference in movies and real life.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Now in general they are no better or worst than 100 other TV shows or movies that advocate a anti religioius life style.
    Now personally I think we would be better off without most of them, but again, as long as parents teach thier children proeprly to tell the difference in movies and real life.
    I don't doubt Pullam's an atheist, but I guess the question in my mind was how explicit the "anti-religious" message was, whether it was as filled with hate as people are saying or whether (at the other extreme) it's just a secular story that lacks a religious message and people don't like the author. It's hard for me to tell. I checked Snopes and agree with you about their stance. They don't confirm the comment about him wanting to destroy religion or "kill God." So I guess he didn't actually say that, but I guess for a lot of people it feels like that's what he's saying.

I'm not religious myself, but I feel strongly about what's on TV, in movies, too. I hate the way degradation of all kinds is treated as acceptable. So many people on TV have no boundaries, ethics, or self respect; and ordinary people will watch things on television that they would never go do in person and somehow it's okay because it's just TV, or just a movie, not real. I agree about sitting with kids when you watch anything questionable and checking in with them about what kind of message they are getting. I've always done a fair amount of that, although it never feels like enough... Sometimes the off button is the best choice.
    Asking
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
    You can go to the EWTN website and read some articles there. Some links:
    EWTN.com - Golden Compass, Daniel Graig, and the Guardian

EWTN.com - Golden Compass

Golden Compass Anti-Catholic and Anti-Religious; Anti-Semite Sedevacantists Got Something Right « Fish in a Barrel

Vatican blasts 'Golden Compass' as Godless and hopeless - Topix

If you are concerned, just go and talk to a local priest or an evangelical minister. If you take the time to actually read the books, you will not have any questions as to the author's intent.
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Yes, the movie is very anti religious from all the reading I have done, and it makes evil what we have basically as the church today, and the entire theme of the movie ( using fighting bears of course) is to show that man needs to kill god in order to succeed.

Now will many "get it" most likely not, It is like the original star trek had some of the first interracial kissing ( along with skimpy clothes) I had no idea it was helping to change peoples view points and society.
    So the hope of the movie is to slowing get peoples mind to accept that god is not good and needs to be done away with.

Now in America god haters have as much right to make a movie as anyone else, and the author has not even tried to hide the fact of what he is trying to do, ( at least honest about it) What is funny is how the we hate god group will not just admit this is what they want and go on with life.

But I am the most offended by the churches thierself that have not came out hand in hand against this movie.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 07:53 PM
    I watched it. I didn't see anything in it that was anti God, at least not any more anti God than Lord of the rings. Maybe the next 2 will be, but this one wasn't.

In any case, God gave us brains for a reason right?
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Did you think it was any good? From the people I have talked to they say it was lacking?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Yeah they obviously cut a lot of stuff out and mixed it round a bit. You're surprised when it ends because you want more, kind of ends abruptly.

I enjoyed it and would like to see the next one.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Dec 30, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    jillian,

My comment was addresses to EVERYONE who planned to answer the question.....is it so shocking that an individual should know what they are talking about??? The movie is about COURAGE. I have noticed over the years that FundiEv Christians' manner of discussion is simply negative innuendo and mud slinging.

Chou,

The ruckus is because Pullman, the author, is an atheist. People believe that he is expounding his religious beliefs in the Compass trilogy. He is not. The author does not mention religion one time not even in his books.

He is a prolific wirter of children's books whose popularity rival the Narnia trilogy by C. S. Lewis

If the trilogy had been written by a Christian there would be NO mess and no fuss.

It is, after all, just an entertaining story full of adventures which appeal to all, children as well as adults. that is it!

I read his books which were published years ago, and saw th movie which was stupendous. Hope the rest of the trilogy is also made into films.

Here is a list of Pullmans books.

Writings
    "Sally Lockhart" Series; Young Adult Historical Fiction
    • The Ruby in the Smoke, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1985.
    • The Shadow in the Plate, Oxford University Press (Oxford, England), 1987, published as Shadow in the North, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1988.
    • The Tiger in the Well, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1990.
    • The Tin Princess, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1994.
    "His Dark Materials" Young Adult Fantasy Novels
    • Northern Lights, Scholastic (England), 1995, published as The Golden Compass, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1996.
    • The Subtle Knife, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1997.
    • The Amber Spyglass, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 2000.
    • Lyra's Oxford, illustrated by John Lawrence, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 2003.
    Other Young Adult Fiction
    • How to Be Cool (humorous fiction), Heinemann (London, England), 1987.
    • The Broken Bridge, Macmillan (London, England), 1990, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1992.
    • The White Mercedes (realistic fiction), Macmillan (London, England), 1992, Alfred A. Knopf, 1993.
    • (Editor) Detective Stories: Chosen by Philip Pullman, illustrated by Nick Hardcastle, Kingfisher (New York, NY), 1998.
    For Children; Fiction
    • Count Karlstein, or the Ride of the Demon Huntsman (picture book), Chatto & Windus (London, England), 1982, edition with pictures by Patrice Aggs, Doubleday (London, England), 1991, novel illustrated by Diane Bryan, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1998.
    • Spring-Heeled Jack: A Story of Bravery and Evil (graphic novel), illustrated by David Mostyn, Doubleday (London, England), 1989, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 1991.
    • The Wonderful Story of Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp (retelling), illustrated by David Wyatt, Picture Hippo, 1995.
    • The Firework-Maker's Daughter (fantasy), Corgi, 1996, illustrated by S. Saelig Gallagher, Arthur A. Levine Books (New York, NY), 1999.
    • Clockwork, or All Wound Up, illustrated by Peter Bailey, Doubleday (London, England), 1996, illustrated by Leonid Gore, Scholastic/Arthur A. Levine Books (New York, NY), 1998.
    • I Was a Rat!, illustrated by Kevin Hawkes, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 2000.
    • Puss in Boots: The Adventures of That Most Enterprising Feline, illustrated by Ian Beck, Alfred A. Knopf (New York, NY), 2000.
    "The New Cut Gang" Series
    • Thunderbolt's Waxworks, illustrated by Mark Thomas, Viking (New York, NY), 1994.
    • The Gas-Fitter's Ball, illustrated by Mark Thomas, Viking (New York, NY), 1995.
    Other
    • Ancient Civilizations (nonfiction), illustrated by G. Long, Wheaton (Exeter, England), 1978.
    Plays
    • Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Sumatran Devil (produced at Polka Children's Theatre, Wimbledon, England, 1984), published as Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Limehouse Horror, Thomas Nelson (London, England), 1993.
    • The Three Musketeers (adapted from Alexandre Dumas's novel), produced at Polka Children's Theatre, Wimbledon, England, 1985.
    • Frankenstein (adapted from Mary Shelley's novel; produced at Polka Children's Theatre, Wimbledon, England, 1987), Oxford University Press (Oxford, England), 1990.
    • Puss in Boots, produced at Polka Children's Theater, Wimbledon, England, 1997.
    Adult Novels
    • Galatea (fantasy), Gollancz (London, England), 1978, Dutton (New York, NY), 1979.
    • Pullman is also the author of scripts for television. Author of introduction, John and Mary Gribbin, The Science of "His Dark Materials," Hodder & Stoughton (London, England), in press.
    Adaptations
    How to Be Cool was televised by Granada-TV in the United Kingdom, 1988.
    The Golden Compass and The Amber Spyglass were made into sound recordings. The first three books in the "His Dark Materials" series have been optioned by New Line Cinema for production as motion pictures. Two plays based on "His Dark Materials," adapted by Nicholas Wright, were produced at the National Theatre, London, 2003-04.
    Work in Progress
    A novel, The Book of Dust, in the "His Dark Materials" series.
    Biographical and Critical Sources
    Books
    • Children's Literature Review, Volume 20, Gale, 1990, pp. 185-88.
    • Gallo, Donald, editor, Speaking for Ourselves, Too, National Council of Teachers of English, 1993.
    • Silvey, Anita, editor, Children's Books and Their Creators, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1995, p. 544.
    • Something about the Author Autobiography Series, Volume 17, Gale (Detroit, MI), pp. 297-312.
    • Squires, Claire, Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" Trilogy: A Reader's Guide, Continuum (New York, NY), 2003.
    • Twentieth-Century Young Adult Writers, St. James Press (Detroit, MI), 1994, pp. 543-544.

Why are people upset you ask, a rather huge case of paranoia mixed with a large dose of fear.

;-)
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Dec 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    In early December a movie called "The Golden Compass" is being released in the US (it's under different titles in other countries, I believe). From what I understand there has been an uproar because this movie "promotes atheism" in some way. Apparently a lot of Christians are boycotting the movie because they feel it is "anti-Christian".

Have any of you heard of this movie? Are you boycotting it, or do you not care? What exactly is so "wrong" with the movie, that there is the need to boycott? I've done a little web research, but nothing I've read seems to come out and say what the specific objection to the film is; just that the movie is "anti-Christian". I know the writer of the books the film is based on is a professed atheist; is that the primary objection?

I'm not trying to cause a fight, or say the film should/should not be boycotted - I'm just genuinely confused as to what the fuss is all about.

Here's a link to the movie on imdb, for anyone who hasn't heard about it: The Golden Compass (2007)

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides an answer.

Not only am I NOT boycotting it. My students have read this books and am recommending for them to see the movie... it teaches many things we should teach our children: courage, strength of character, loyalty, etc...

The only issue that I can see which may cause concern is that Pullman is an atheist, however, his books are NOT about religion, they are children's fantasy which rival C. S. Lewis Narnia trilogy.

Contrary to what some articles have written Pullman does NOT hate Lewis' books, he merely presents another type of adventure... both authors champion the same values... loyalty, courage, strengh of character, etc.

The point is that anyone can interpret what they see or read any way they wish... the same way the bible is interpretef.. many see it one way, others see it differently... it is a question of prefernece, prejudice and ignorance.

What is ridiculous is that people discuss and repudiate the books and or the movies without persoanly reading or viewing the movie... this smacks of bigotry, prejudice and extreme ignorance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calibrating an Airguide auto compass [ 8 Answers ]

I have an Airguide compass for my car but have lost the instructions. How do you set it up. It is the basic model with suction cups and a round globe on a square base

Marine compass [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of oil in a compass

New Golden [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend and I are getting a new golden retriever puppy in the next couple weeks. The breeder said that we can come and get her anytime after she is 7 weeks old. I have heard that taking a puppy from its mother in the 7th week can be bad. Should we wait until 8 weeks or is it okay to...

View more questions Search